Improvements for Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Test Procedures - Final Rulemaking
On this page:
EPA is finalizing changes to the test procedures for heavy-duty engines and vehicles to improve accuracy and reduce testing burden.
EPA is also making other regulatory amendments concerning light-duty vehicles, heavy-duty vehicles, highway motorcycles, locomotives, marine engines, other nonroad engines and vehicles, and stationary engines.
These amendments affect the certification procedures for exhaust emission standards and related requirements. EPA is finalizing similar amendments for evaporative emission standards for nonroad equipment and portable fuel containers.
These amendments would:
- Streamline the regulations which will reduce industry costs
- Increase compliance flexibility
- Harmonize with other requirements
- Clarify existing requirements
- Correct errors
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 94 K, December 2020, EPA-420-F-20-051, About PDF)
- Final Rulemaking (PDF) (481 pp, 8 MB, pre-publication, signed December 23, 2020, About PDF)
- Response to Comment (PDF) (165 pp, 3 MB, December 2020, EPA-420-R-20-026, About PDF)
- EPA memo highlighting regulatory changes (PDF) (426 pp, 7 MB, December 2020, About PDF)
- Supplemental Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Improvements for Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Test Procedures
- Proposed Rule for Improvements for Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Test Procedures, and other Amendments