The Safer Affordable Fuel Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Proposed Rule for Model Years 2021-2026
On this page:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) propose to amend certain existing Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and greenhouse gas emissions standards for passenger cars and light trucks and establish new standards, covering model years 2021 through 2026.
Public Hearings: NHTSA and EPA held three public hearings: September 24, 2018, Fresno, California; September 25, 2018, Dearborn, Michigan; and September 26, 2018, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Extension of Comment Period Federal Register Notice: The Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule for Model Years 2021-2026 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks; Extension of Comment Period (PDF) (4 pp, 245 K, published September 26, 2018)
- Proposed Rule: The Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule for Model Years 2021-2026 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (PDF) (515 pp, 15.7 MB, published August 24, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: MYs 2021-2026 CAFE Proposal - By the Numbers (PDF) (1 pg, 160 K, EPA-420-F-18-901, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: NHTSA and EPA Proposed SAFE Vehicle Rule: Overview of the Alternatives Analyzed (PDF) (4 pp, 93 K, EPA-420-F-18-902, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: Proposed California Waiver Withdrawal (PDF) (2 pp, 105 K, EPA-420-F-18-903, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: NHTSA and EPA Proposed SAFE Vehicle Rule: Overview (PDF) (2 pp, 149 K, EPA-420-F-18-904, August 2, 2018)
- Fact Sheet: MYs 2021-2026 SAFE Vehicles Rule Proposal: Compliance Flexibilities (PDF) (2 pp, 122 K, EPA-420-F-18-905, August 2, 2018)
- For additional information regarding this proposal including the Preliminary Regulatory Impact Analysis and modeling analysis, please see https://www.nhtsa.gov/corporate-average-fuel-economy/safe.