An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

The FERC Relocation Process for Transferees

On this page:

An 8-Step Overview of the Process for Transferees

  1. The FERC is notified via email by your agency’s Human Resources (HR) or Program Office of a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move. The e-mail shall include a PDF of the SF-50 and an Agreement to Remain in Government Service.
  2. The FERC sends a Transferee questionnaire to the employee (with a copy to HR/Program Office) to be completed and returned.
  3. The FERC will schedule a conference call with the employee to discuss entitlements and allowances according to the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR) and your agency’s relocation policy.
  4. All official agency travel must be documented with a Travel Authorization (TA). The FERC will electronically create the employee official TA in preparation for your relocation. FERC will e-mail the completed TA to your point of contact to be approved and signed by the approving official. Please note that FERC cannot continue the relocation process until the TA is approved and signed.
  5. After the TA is approved, FERC will coordinate the shipping and storage of the employee household goods, en-route travel, miscellaneous moving expenses, and other entitlements and authorized allowances. The employee should keep all their receipts for reimbursement.
  6. As the employee completes each portion of their move they will be reimbursed through FERC via travel voucher. The FERC will generate an electronic travel voucher and e-mail it to the agency for signatures.
  7. After the travel voucher is signed, the voucher and any accompanying receipts would then be sent back to the FERC for processing. You may e-mail the voucher and documentation or send it via postal mail to FERC.
  8. Once FERC receives the travel voucher, the reimbursement payment will be processed and paid.

Top of Page

Frequent Questions about the Process

The following questions and answers apply to agencies who follow the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR):

Who is considered to be a transferred employee?

A transferred employee is an employee who transfers from one official station to another. This may also include employees separated as a result of reduction in force or transfer of functions who are re-employed within one year after such separation. 

What is my effective transfer or appointment date?

Your effective transfer or appointment date is the date on which you report for duty at your new or first official station.

As a transferred employee, what relocation allowances must my agency pay or reimburse me for incident to a permanent change of station?

As a transferred employee there are mandatory and discretionary relocation expenses. Once an agency decision is made to pay or reimburse relocation expenses all entitlements indicated in Column 1 in Table A (CONUS) must be paid or reimbursed, unless otherwise stated in the applicable parts. The discretionary relocation allowances indicated in Column 2 of this table may or may not be paid by the agency. 

Table A: Transfer between Official Stations in the Continental United States (CONUS) 
Relocation entitlements that the agency MUST pay or reimburse  Relocation allowances that the agency HAS DISCRETIONARY AUTHORITY to pay or reimburse
  1. Transportation and per diem of employee and immediate family member(s) to duty station
  2. Miscellaneous moving expenses
  3. Sell or buy residence transactions or lease termination expenses
  4. Transportation and temporary storage of household goods
  5. Extended storage of household goods
  6. Transportation of a mobile home or boat used as a primary residence in lieu of the transportation of household goods
  7. Relocation income tax allowance (RITA)
  1. House-hunting per diem and transportation, employee and spouse only
  2. Temporary quarters subsistence expense (TQSE)
  3. Shipment of privately owned vehicle (POV)
  4. Use of a relocation service company
  5. Property management services
  6. Home marketing incentives
May I relocate to my new official duty station before I receive a written travel authorization? 

No, you must have the written TA (paper or electronic) before you relocate to your new official duty station. 

If I am approved by my Agency for relocation expenses, when should I start making my travel arrangements?

You and your immediate family member(s) may begin travel immediately upon receipt of your travel authorization (TA). 

When an employee transfers between federal agencies, who is responsible for paying the employee’s relocation expenses? 

When an employee transfers between federal agencies, all allowable expenses must be paid from the funds of the agency that the employee is transferring to. However, in the case of a reduction in force or transfer of function, an agreement may be made between the agencies concerned as to what relocation allowances will be paid by either agency or split between them. This should include the payment of expenses for the extended storage of the employee’s household goods when assigned to an isolated permanent duty station within CONUS or a transfer to, from, or between foreign countries. 

If I am approved by my agency for relocation expenses, when should I start making my travel arrangements?

You and your immediate family member(s) may begin travel immediately upon receipt of your travel authorization (TA).

When must I complete all aspects my relocation?

You and your immediate family member(s) must complete all aspects of your relocation within one year from the effective date of your transfer or appointment, except as provided in §302-2.11.

Top of Page