The former Occidental Chemical Corporation (OCC) property (“site”) is approximately 37 acres in extent and is located at 605 Alexander Avenue in Tacoma, Washington along the Hylebos Waterway. Between 1947 and 1973, OCC operated a chlorinated solvents plant. OCC transferred the facility to Pioneer Americas, Inc. in 1997 but retained the environmental liability. A portion of the site was also leased to the Navy in the 1940s and 1950s as part of their ship building and dismantling operations. The facility is currently used as a terminal for shipping and storage of chemicals, but chemical production operations are idle. Remediation oversight was provided by the EPA RCRA program through 1998 when oversight was transferred to the Washington State Department of Ecology (“Ecology”). At the time of the RSE site visit, Ecology and OCC were negotiating a scope of work to be incorporated into a Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA) agreed order, which will become part of a new RCRA permit. This document can also be accessed at http://semspub.epa.gov/src/document/HQ/190003.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Remediation System Evaluation, Former Occidental Facility in Tacoma, Washington (PDF)(57 pp, 3 MB, 2004, 542-F-04-026)