Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP)
Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) Announcement
To NSF GRFP Fellows and GRFP Institutional Officials:
NSF is excited to announce the new INTERN NSF DCL 21-013, which provides funding for non-academic internships to all NSF-supported graduate students, including those supported by the Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP).
INTERN offers expanded benefits to students seeking internship experiences, including more funding and more flexibility:
- Up to $55,000 of funding can be requested;
- Besides travel support, funds can be requested for stipends (if the Fellow is on reserve), tuition, and health insurance;
- Up to $2,500 of the funding may be used for materials and supplies;
- Indirect costs are permitted;
- Collaboration arrangements with the internship host are confirmed before the request for funding;
- While it is expected that internships will be on-site, specific exceptions may be granted;
- Funding requests may be submitted at any time.
Because of the flexibility and benefits that INTERN now offers to Graduate Research Fellows and internship host organizations, NSF will suspend the next GRIP competition. Full information on INTERN funding for Graduate Research Fellows (GRFP) is available in the DCLExit. Additional information on specific terms and conditions for INTERN supplements to NSF GRFP awards can be requested by sending an email to GRFP INTERN: GRFPINTERN@nsf.gov.
The GRFP Team