Hierarchy for Selection of Marine Benchmarks
- Preference was given to the benchmarks based on chronic exposure, non-lethal endpoint studies designed to be protective of sensitive species.
- Absent chronic exposure benchmarks, values based on acute studies for multiple species adjusted with acute to chronic ratios were selected.
- The lowest reported effect level with a safety factor of ten to protect for a more sensitive species and/or with a safety factor of ten to convert from acute to chronic.
- Absent a marine value, refer to Region 3 freshwater tables.
Author: Bruce Pluta (Region 3)
Date: July 2006
Description: Screening benchmarks for marine surfacewater in Region 3
Keywords: marine, surfacewater, screening benchmarks, risk assessment, Superfund, Region 3, water, ERAGS, SLERA
DownloadYou may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Marine Screening Benchmarks in Region 3 (PDF)(8 pp, 79 K)