SepticSmart Week 2019
Each year, EPA holds SepticSmart Week with outreach activities to encourage homeowners and communities to care for and maintain their septic systems.
During SepticSmart Week, EPA seeks to inform homeowners on proper septic system care and maintenance, assist local agencies in promoting homeowner education and awareness, and educate local decision makers about infrastructure options to improve and sustain their communities.
SepticSmart Week 2019 was held September 16-20, 2019.
2019 SepticSmart Week Highlights
- SepticSmart Week proclamations by governors, health departments, and Decentralized MOU partner organizations
- State and local engagement
- Superlative septic users
- Social media participation
- MOU partner newletter outreach
SepticSmart Week Proclamations
Check out the states and leaders who have declared SepticSmart Week 2019 in their communities:
- Governor Brad Little, State of Idaho
- Governor Eric J. Holcomb, State of Indiana
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer, State of Michigan
- Governor Christopher T. Sununu, State of New Hampshire
- Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, State of New Mexico
- Governor Roy Cooper, State of North Carolina
- Governor Doug Burgum, State of North Dakota
- Governor Kate Brown, State of Oregon
- Governor Gina M. Raimondo, State of Rhode Island
- Governor Ralph S. Northam, Commonwealth of Virginia
- Governor Jay Inslee, State of Washington
"Protect Your Septic System!" Magnet
Provide your customers with an easy reminder on what not to flush down their toilet or drain if they have a septic system, and when they should schedule their next service.
Click the link below, select “Get This Item”, then select “Order a Hardcopy”. Fill out the requested information, and click “Submit Order” to order the magnet(s). You can request more than one copy by typing your request in the “Special Instructions” box of the order form. This item is free of charge to the public. Contact the National Service Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP) for more information/ assistance. NSCEP is available at 1-800-490-9198 during the hours of 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday.
Owners of Rental Property
Do you own a vacation rental property with a septic system? Are you concerned about the well-being of your septic system while your home is being rented? Use these outreach materials to help educate your rental guests that your home is on a septic system, and tips on what to put (or not put) down the sink and/or drain:
- Visit our Outreach Toolkit for more SepticSmart materials targeted to homeowners. All materials are free for download and contain print recommendations.
How State and Local Governments Promote and Proclaim SepticSmart Week
- Kevin O'Donovan, MDB, Inc.
- Zach Lowenstein, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Wastewater Managment
- Jeremy Simmons, Washington Department of Health
- Gene McCabe, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
Susan Mihalo, Town of Ogden Dunes, Indiana