Louisiana SIP: LAC 33:III Ch. 21 Section 2143 - SIP effective 2011-08-04 (LAd34) to 2012-01-02
Louisiana Administrative Code, Title 33 ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY, Part III Air (LAC 33:III) Chapter 21. Control of Emission of Organic Compounds
Subchapter H. Graphic Arts
Section 2143. Graphic Arts (Printing) by Rotogravure and Flexographic Processes.
As approved by EPA July 5, 2011 (76 FR 38977) effective August 4, 2011 (LAd34) LA021
Regulations.gov docket EPA-R06-OAR-2007-0924
Unless otherwise indicated, paragraphs are as previously approved by EPA 05/05/94 (59 FR 23166) effective 06/06/94 (LAc60) and 07/25/96 (61 FR 38591) effective 08/26/96 (LAc64).
A. Control Requirements. No person shall operate or allow the operation of a packaging rotogravure, publication rotogravure, or flexographic printing facility having a potential to emit 25 TPY or more of VOC in the parishes of Ascension, East Baton Rouge, Iberville, Livingston, and West Baton Rouge; having a potential to emit 50 TPY or more of VOC in the parishes of Calcasieu and Pointe Coupee; or having a potential to emit 100 TPY or more of VOC in any other parish, unless VOC emissions are controlled by one of the methods in Paragraphs A.1-5 of this Section. Once a facility is subject to the provisions of this Section, it remains so regardless of future variations in production.
1. The solvent fraction of ink, as it is applied to the substrate, less exempt solvent, contains 25 volume percent or less of organic solvent and 75 volume percent or more of water. Also acceptable as an alternative limit is ink containing no more than 0.5 pounds of volatile organic compounds per pound of solids. Exempt solvents are those compounds listed in LAC 33:III.2117.
2. A volatile organic compound adsorption or incineration system having at least 90 percent (by weight) control efficiency across the control device, which can be demonstrated to have an overall capture and abatement reduction of at least:
a. 75 percent where a publication rotogravure process is employed.
b. 65 percent where a packaging rotogravure process is employed.
c. 65 percent where a flexographic printing process is employed.
3. The ink as it is applied to the substrate, less water and exempt solvent, contains 60 percent by volume or more of nonvolatile material.
4. This rule applies to affected machines on which both surface coating and printing operations are performed.
5. Line-by-line compliance with the emission limits or control requirements of this rule is required. Any cross-line averaging or bubbling must receive approval from the administrative authority*.
B. Applicability Exemption. A rotogravure or flexographic printing facility that has the potential to emit, at full production (8760 hours per year basis), a combined weight of VOC of less than 25 TPY in the parishes of Ascension, East Baton Rouge, Iberville, Livingston, and West Baton Rouge; less than 50 TPY in the parishes of Calcasieu and Pointe Coupee; or less than 100 TPY in any other parish, calculated from historical records of actual consumption of ink, is exempt from the provisions of Subsections A and C of this Section and need only comply with Subsection D of this Section.
C. Compliance. The owner/operator of any facility subject to LAC 33:III.2143 shall install and maintain monitors to accurately measure and record operational parameters of all required control devices as necessary to ensure the proper functioning of those devices in accordance with the design specification.
Compliance with this Section shall be determined by certification from the ink manufacturer concerning the solvent makeup of the ink or by applying the following test methods as appropriate:
AQ145 §2143.C.1 to C.3;LAd34;LA021.02;AQ145;LR22:1212p14(12/20/1996)
1. Test Methods 24 (40 CFR part 60, appendix A, as incorporated by reference at LAC 33:III.3003) for determination of volatile matter content, water content, density volume solids and weight of solids;
2. Test Methods 1-4 (40 CFR part 60, appendix A, as incorporated by reference at LAC 33:III.3003) for determining flow rates;
3. Test Method 25 (40 CFR part 60, appendix A, as incorporated by reference at LAC III.3003) for determining total gaseous nonmethane organic emissions as carbon;
4. capture efficiency test by a method approved by the administrative authority*.
D. Recordkeeping. The owner or operator of any graphic arts facility shall maintain records at the facility to verify compliance with or exemption from LAC 33:III.2143. The records shall be maintained for at least two years and will include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. records of any testing done in accordance with LAC 33:III.2143.C;
2. records of operational parameters of control devices including:
a. the exhaust gas temperature of direct-flame incinerators and/or the gas temperature immediately upstream or downstream of any catalyst bed;
b. the total amount of volatile organic compounds recovered by carbon adsorption or other solvent recovery systems during a calendar month;
c. the dates for any malfunction of a required control device and the estimated quantity and duration of volatile organic compound emissions during the upset period; and
d. continuous monitoring for breakthrough of a carbon adsorption bed.
3. material data sheets which document the volatile organic compound content, composition, solids content, solvent density and other relevant information regarding each ink or coating used.
AQ236 §2143.E; LAd34; LA021.10; AQ236; LR 30:746 (4/20/2004)
E. Timing. A facility that has become subject to this regulation as a result of a revision of the regulation shall comply with the requirements of this Section as soon as practicable, but in no event later than one year from the promulgation of the regulation revision.