Puerto Rico PM10 Attainment Plan for Fine Particulates
Federal Register Dates:
August 11, 1994 Proposal 59 FR 41265
May 31, 1995 Final Rule 60 FR 28333
EPA Approval Date:
EPA's approval of PM10 Attainment Plan for Fine Particulates was effective on June 30, 1995.
SIP revision dated November 14, 1994 and supplemented on March 18, 1994 and March 30, 1994.
Regulations affect the entire island of Puerto Rico. The PM10 Attainment Plan is applicable to the Municipality of Guaynabo, Puerto Rico.
EPA is approving the PM10 Attainment Plan for Fine Particulates for the Municipality of Guaynabo PM10 nonattainment area. Specifically, the PM10 Attainment Plan EPA is approving contains an emissions inventory, a control strategy including RACM and RACT, the demonstration that the Municipality of Guaynabo PM10 nonattainment area will attain the PM10 NAAQS by December 31, 1994 and maintain the PM10 NAAQS through 1999, the NSR permit provisions and the contingency measures. EPA determined that PM10 precursor controls are not needed for attainment. In addition, EPA is approving the revisions to the Puerto Rico Regulations for the Control of Atmospheric Pollution identified below applicable Island wide.
New Regulations Included As Part of the SIP:
Puerto Rico Regulations for the Control of Atmospheric Pollution:
- Amendments to Part I, Rule 102, "Definitions," effective April 2, 1994.
- Amendments to Part II, Rule 201, "Location Approval," Rule 202, "Air Quality Impact Analysis," and Rule 203, "Permit to Construct a Source," effective April 2, 1994.
- Amendments to Part IV, Rule 401, "Generic Prohibitions," Rule 402, "Open Burning," Rule 403, "Visible Emissions," Rule 404, "Fugitive Dust," and Rule 423, "Limitations for the Guaynabo PM10 Nonattainment Area," effective April 2, 1994.
Memoranda of Understanding (MOU):
- MOU signed by the Chairman of EQB and the Executive Director of Puerto Rico Electrical Power Authority, San Juan plant, limiting the sulfur-in-fuel level, annual operation capacity, and requiring the submittal of monthly sampling reports of its fuel's sulfur content, effective January 31, 1994.
- MOU signed by the Chairman of EQB and the Secretary of Puerto Rico Department of Transportation and Public Works and the Executive Director of the Highway Authority to maintain and control the reconstruction of existing roads and the construction of new roads, effective July 2, 1993.
- MOU signed by the Chairman of EQB and the Mayor of the Municipality of Guaynabo to pave and maintain the streets, roads and parking areas located in the Municipality of Guaynabo, effective December 13, 1993.
- MOU signed by the Chairman of EQB and the Executive Director of the Puerto Rico Port Authority to pave and maintain the streets, roads, and parking areas that lead into the port area in Puerto Nuevo, Guaynabo and San Juan, effective October 14, 1993.
EPA Region 2 Contact:
Kirk Wieber (212) 637-3381