Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) Electronics Challenge: Participation Agreement
- Section I: Program Goals for the SMM Electronics Challenge
- Section II: Participant Pledge
- Section III: EPA Commitment to SMM Electronics Challenge Participants
- Section IV: Challenge General Terms and Disclaimers
The goals of EPA's Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) Electronics Challenge are to:
- Increase collection of electronic equipment for reuse and recycling using certified recyclers;
- Promote data transparency and accountability through public posting of electronics collection and recycling data; and
- Reduce environmental impacts across the entire life cycle of electronics products.
As an EPA SMM Electronics Challenge participant, my organization shares EPA’s goals as outlined above, and commits to:
- Strive to send 100 percent of used electronics collected from all collection streams (e.g., consumer, warranty and return, business to business and internal equipment) to recyclers or refurbishers that have been certified to a recognized third-party certification program.
- Submit baseline data within 6 months of registration.
- Submit annual data, according to participation tier, to EPA.
- Post commitments, policies and data on the participant’s web site using the EPA-provided templates.
With this agreement, my organization also intends to reach the following tier category as described in the SMM Electronics Challenge Tiers of Participation document: Bronze, Silver, Gold (send form to contact information located at the bottom of this page).
- Respond promptly to registrant and participant requests for information or clarification on EPA’s SMM Electronics Challenge.
- Provide public recognition by listing all organizations who sign the Pledge as REGISTRANTS on EPA’s website.
- Review each participant’s baseline data, goals and public posting to verify eligibility to be listed as a new participant on the EPA's SMM Electronics Challenge website.
- Routinely assess each participant’s submission and public posting of annual data and information to verify eligibility to receive recognition as a Bronze, Silver or Gold active participant on SMM website.
- Provide access to and maintenance of an online reporting and data management system.
- Either party can terminate this agreement at any time without prior notification and with no further obligation. EPA will not comment publicly regarding the withdrawal of participants.
- Participant agrees that the activities it undertakes connected with this voluntary agreement are not intended to provide services to the federal government and that the participant will not seek compensation from a federal agency.
- Participant agrees that it will not claim or imply that its participation constitutes EPA approval or endorsement of anything other than its participation in the SMM Electronics Challenge and will not make statements or imply that EPA endorses the participant or the purchase or sale of the participant’s products and services or the views of the participant’s organization.
- EPA may publish information about the participant’s accomplishments.
- EPA may use the participant’s logo in certain EPA communication materials.
- EPA may periodically revise eligibility requirements.
- Failure to comply with any of the terms of this agreement can result in EPA removing a registrant or participant from the SMM Electronics Challenge and terminating access to its benefits, including use of the online data management system.
- All commitments made by EPA are subject to the availability of appropriated funds.
Contact us to learn how to submit an SMM Electronics Challenge Participation Agreement.