Sulfur Dioxide State Implementation Plan (SIP) Checklist Guide
Also see SO2 implementation guidance documents for nonattainment SIP submissions, area designations, and for more detail on the data requirements rule see:
- Required SO2 Emission Source Data: Data Requirements Rule (DRR)
- SO2 Data Requirements Rule Source List: states are required to submit a list of their SO2 emission sources, which EPA then compiles into a single list.
Determine What Type of State Implementation Plan (SIP) is Required
Timeline for the SIP Development Process
Public Input and Other CAA SIP Development Requirements
- Streamlining the SIP Process includes guidelines on planning and issuing public notices for each step of development, allowing for public comment.
Emisions Inventory, Monitoring, and Modeling
- Technical Assistance Documents for Implementing the 2010 Sulfur Dioxide Standard: Technical advice on the use of modeling and monitoring to determine if an area meets the standard.
- Clearinghouse for Inventories and Emissions Factors (ChIEF) includes resources on the National Emissions Inventory and tools such as WebFIRE (Web Factor Information Retrieval).
- Ambient Air Monitoring
- Support Center for Regulatory Atmospheric Modeling (SCRAM)
- Emissions Measurement Center (EMC) includes methods for measuring sulfur dioxide (SO2).
Strategies for Controlling SO2 Emissions
- Menu of Control Measures for NAAQS Implementation
- RACT/BACT/LAER Clearinghouse (RBLC): database of "reasonably available" and "best available" control technologies
- Control Strategy Tool (CoST): part of EPA's Emissions Modeling Framework (EMF). CoST models the emission reductions and engineering costs associated with control strategies for point, area, and mobile sources of air pollutant emissions
Submit SIP to EPA for Approval
- Streamlining the SIP Process: check SIP for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Submit a SIP online
- Once the SIP meets completeness criteria, and is submitted to EPA, the state issues a state notification and allows for comment. Then after a final notice, implementation begins (adoption of SIP elements). Note: this begins before the SIP has been finally approved.