Lean & Environment Toolkit: Appendix C
Sample Lean Event EHS Checklist
To ensure that changes proposed during Lean events identify potential environmental compliance, health, safety, and/or fire protection impacts, this form must be completed by the team leader for all organizations undergoing Lean activities.
Background Information: Impacts (either positive or negative) could occur as a result of altering chemicals/materials use, the location of the process, or facility alterations. Any potential impacts must be addressed prior to implementing any changes. Potential changes that must be identified on this form include:
- Changes to the type, volume, or introduction/issuance procedure for chemicals and materials use, the location of the process, or facility exposure. This may change the procedure for gathering data to report to regulatory agencies.
- Changes to the type of volume of waste generated by a process. This includes all media such as air emissions, water emissions, liquid/solid waste, etc.
- Changes proposed to either the physical layout of the process (i.e., moving work or storage areas) or to the facility (moving, replacing, or installing items such as vent hoods, floor drains, stacks, or process tanks).
Instructions: Describe the Lean event/process and answer the following questions about proposed process changes. If any of the questions are answered either “Yes” or “Unk” (unknown), there may be the potential for environmental impacts that need to be reviewed by EHS staff. Please contact ______________________ immediately upon identification of potential impacts or with questions.
- Contents & Acknowledgements
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Getting Started with Lean & Environment
- Chapter 2: Identifying Environmental Waste
- Chapter 3: Value Stream Mapping
- Chapter 4: Kaizen Events
- Chapter 5: 6S (5S + Safety)
- Chapter 6: Conclusion and Implementation Strategies
- Appendix A: Lean Methods
- Appendix B: Basic Environmental Measures for Lean Enterprises
- Appendix C: Lean Event EHS Checklist
- Appendix D: Pollution Prevention Resources
- Appendix E: 6S Safety Audit Checklist