About the Managing and Transforming Waste Streams Tool
The Managing and Transforming Waste Streams Tool features a table of 100 measures communities can employ to reduce waste and recover materials. By using interactive functions (sorting, searching and/or filtering), local planners can explore best practices in the form of ordinances, policies, programs, contracts, outreach & technical assistance, and infrastructure development, with the objective of creating a list of strategies tailored to their community's needs and capabilities.
The tool also includes over 300 implementation examples from communities across the U.S., including links to local ordinances and program websites, as well as model language for amending service provider contracts or franchise agreements. The measures and implementation examples capture nuances in approaches local governments can take and illustrate opportunities to phase in more stringent practices over time.
- municipal and tribal agency staff and decision-makers working on solid waste plan updates or zero waste plans
- regional and state agencies coordinating waste management planning for a group of local agencies
- other parties who are familiar with their community's solid waste management system and interested in community-based initiatives
It was developed by a team of zero waste consultants and solid waste program managers making informed observations from hands-on work in communities, with contributions from EPA.
How It Works
- Customize the list to your community's priorities according to qualitative rankings for diversion potential, upstream impacts, and various implementation factors
- Sort the list alphabetically by sector
- Search by keyword for policy/program, sector, or material
- Hide from view measures already being implemented in your community
- Highlight measures you would like to prioritize for further scoping
- Access implementation examples from other communities and online resources (online version only)
- Print or copy & paste your customized list for use in a planning document