An official website of the United States government.

This is not the current EPA website. To navigate to the current EPA website, please go to This website is historical material reflecting the EPA website as it existed on January 19, 2021. This website is no longer updated and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work. More information »

Tribal Members Involvement in Safe Drinking Water on Tribal Lands

Community Right to Know

It is your right to know if your public water system is providing you with safe drinking water. This means that the water meets National Primary Drinking Water Regulations (NPDWRs) under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).

If your receive water year-round from the same community water system, the utility is required to provide a Consumer Confidence Report. This report is also known as an annual water quality report or a drinking water quality report.

The public water system must issue a public notification if:

  • There is a violation of federal drinking water standards; and, or
  • There is a drinking water emergency.

It is important to attend outreach events by your tribal utility or tribal leaders concerning the status of your public water system. This way, tribal members are informed about their water systems.