Energy Policy Act of 2005 and Underground Storage Tanks (USTs)
- Learn about UST provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005
- Full text of the Energy Policy Act
- Grant guidelines help states implement UST provisions of the Energy Policy Act
Learn About UST Provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005
On August 8, 2005, President Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. Title XV, Subtitle B of the act (titled the Underground Storage Tank Compliance Act of 2005) contains amendments to Subtitle I of the Solid Waste Disposal Act, the original legislation that created the underground storage tank (UST) program.
The UST provisions of the Energy Policy Act focus on preventing releases. Among other things, it expanded eligible uses of the Leaking Underground Storage Tank (LUST) Trust Fund, and included provisions regarding inspections, operator training, delivery prohibition, secondary containment and financial responsibility, and cleanup of releases that contain oxygenated fuel additives.
Full Text of the Energy Policy Act
Full text of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (Public Law 109-058, August 8, 2005) – Go to Title XV – Ethanol And Motor Fuels, Subtitle B – Underground Storage Tank Compliance, Sections 1521-1533 for the underground storage tank provisions.
Grant Guidelines Help States Implement UST Provisions of the Energy Policy Act
To implement the law, EPA and states worked closely with tribes, other federal agencies, tank owners and operators, and other stakeholders to bring about the mandated changes affecting underground storage tank facilities.
EPA developed grant guidelines to help states implement UST provisions of the Energy Policy Act.
- Delivery Prohibition – Section 1527
- Federal Facilities Report – Section 1528
- Financial Responsibility And Installer Certification – Section 1530
- Inspecting USTs – Section 1523
- Operator Training – Section 1524
- Public Record – Section 1526
- Report To Congress On The UST Program In Indian Country – Section 1529
- Secondary Containment – Section 1530
- State Compliance Reports On Government USTs – Section 1526
- Tribal Strategy – Section 1529