Compliance Reporting for Heavy-Duty Commercial Trucks and Buses and Onroad Heavy-Duty Engines
Once you have received your certificate of conformity, follow these steps to submit required compliance reports.
STEP 1: Confirm that you have access to EV-CIS.
STEP 2: Update manufacturer information in EV-CIS.
To update information, users must have the "Maintain Manufacturer Information" role in EV-CIS. Otherwise, users will only be able to view the information.
Information to Update
- Industry sector(s);
- Contacts and Industry/Compliance Programs;
- Test labs; and
- Notification email addresses (used for EV-CIS' broadcast notifications).
STEP 3: Review all applicable regulations.
Regulations provide requirements for certification and compliance.
- 40 CFR Part 85
Control of air pollution from mobile sources.
- 40 CFR Part 86
Control of emissions from new and in-use highway vehicles and engines.
- 40 CFR Part 1036
Control of emissions from new and in-use heavy-duty highway engines.
- 40 CFR Part 1037
Control of emissions from new heavy-duty motor vehicles.
- 40 CFR Part 1068
General compliance provisions for highway, stationary, and nonroad programs.
- 49 CFR Part 535
Medium- and heavy-duty vehicle fuel efficiency program.
Review selected guidance letters:
- Changes in Submission Process of Emissions-Related Defect and Recall Reports under 40 CFR Part 1068, Subpart F (PDF)(1 pg, 67 K, August 1, 2016, About PDF)
- Changes in Submission Process of Emissions-Related Defect and Recall Reports under 40 CFR Part 85, Subparts S and T (PDF)(1 pg, 67 K, August 15, 2016)
STEP 4: Prepare compliance reporting materials.
Download and complete the applicable materials below.
Compliance Reporting Materials
Report Forms/Templates and Guidance
- Report forms and guidance for defects and recalls under 40 CFR Part 85, Subparts S and T
- Report forms and guidance for defects and recalls under 40 CFR Part 1068, Subpart F
- Template for Replacement Engine Exemption Report
- Averaging, Banking, and Trading (ABT):
- ABT Report template and guidance for heavy-duty compression-ignition engines for criteria pollutants
- ABT Report forms and guidance for heavy-duty spark-ignition engines
- CSV import template for heavy-duty engine GHG ABT
Use this template for year-end reports under the heavy-duty engines greenhouse gas (GHG) ABT.
- CSV import template for heavy-duty vehicle GHG ABT
Use this template for year-end reports under the Heavy-Duty Tractors and Vocational Vehicles GHG ABT.
- System documentation and guidance for heavy-duty engine production volume reporting under 40 CFR Part 85 and 1036
- Templates for heavy-duty vehicle production volume reporting and exempted off-road vehicles
- Reporting templates and guidance for manufacturer-run heavy-duty in-use testing program
STEP 5: Submit the completed applicable compliance reporting materials in EV-CIS.
Login to EV-CIS through the CDX portal: Central Data Exchange (CDX)
Click the applicable industry role on the MyCDX homepage.
Submit the completed applicable compliance reporting materials by the required deadlines.
STEP 6: Confirm that your submission(s) from Step 5 were accepted by EV-CIS.
Within a few minutes of all submissions, the submitter will receive a notification in their CDX inbox indicating whether the submission was accepted or rejected.
To access your CDX inbox, click the "Inbox" link on the left navigation bar of the MyCDX homepage.