This retrofit technology is included on EPA's Verified Technologies List for Clean Diesel.
Non-road, Tier 1 or Tier 2 diesel engines certified, maximum PM level of 0.25 g/bhp-hr, power rating 75 ≤ Kilowatts < 450 (100.6 ≤ Horsepower < 603.4)
|Retrofit Fuel, Max Sulfur||15 parts per million (ppm)|
|Reduction in particulate matter (PM)||90%|
|Reduction in nitrogen oxide (NOx)||n/a|
|Reduction in hydrocarbons (HC)||95*%|
|Reduction in carbon monoxide (CO)||90%|
The following criteria must be met in order for appropriately retrofitted engines to achieve the aforementioned emission reductions:
- The engine must be operated on ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel (ULSD) of 15 ppm or less.
- The NR-LNF DPF System requires an exhaust temperature profile sufficient for regeneration. For engines with certification levels of 3.0 to 8.0 g/bhp-hr NOx and 0.01 to 0.11 g/bhp-hr PM, a duty cycle with a Weighted Average Temperature (WAT) at or above 250°C or at least 40% above 245°C (Category 1). For the engine group with emission certification of 5.0 to 8.0 g/bhp-hr NOx and 0.11 to 0.25 g/bhp-hr PM, a duty cycle with a WAT at or above 320°C or at least 40% above 320°C (Category 2). For the engine group with emission certification of 3.0 to 4.99 g/bhp-hr NOx and 0.11 to 0.25 g/bhp-hr PM, a duty cycle with a WAT at or above 362°C or at least 40% above 372°C (Category 3).
- Donaldson approved dealer shall perform an engine pre-assessment that assures the engine is at a minimum operating condition to prevent excess soot build up and that checks the maximum flow rate necessary for installation. The dealer will provide the owner with a copy of the pre-assessment.
- Donaldson approved dealer will install the Donaldson Emissions Device Monitor with the NR-LNF DPF System to constantly monitor backpressure and temperature on all vehicles equipped with this diesel particulate filter.
- The NR-LNF DPF System can be applied to engines with a maximum PM certification level of 0.25 g/bhp-hr.
- The engine must be well maintained and not consume lubricating oil at a rate greater than that specified by the engine manufacturer.
- The vehicle may not be equipped with an oil burning system and lube oil or other oils may not be mixed with the fuel.
- The engine must not have been originally certified or equipped with a diesel particulate filter.
- Verification Letter (PDF)(2 pp, 581 K, December 5, 2013)