This retrofit technology is included on EPA's Verified Technologies List for Clean Diesel.
Tier 0, Tier 1, or Tier 2, nonroad diesel engines on rubber tired gantry cranes
|Retrofit Fuel, Max Sulfur||15 parts per million (ppm)|
|Reduction in particulate matter (PM)||74%|
|Reduction in nitrogen oxide (NOx)||84%|
|Reduction in hydrocarbons (HC)||96%|
|Reduction in carbon monoxide (CO)||71%|
|Reduction in carbon monoxide (CO2)||58%|
Based on the verification testing, EcoCrane demonstrated a 56 percent fuel economy improvement.
This technology is approved for MJ EcoPower Hybrid Systems, Inc. EcoCrane Hybrid System. The EcoCrane Hybrid System replaces generator(s) equipped with Tier 0, Tier 1 or Tier 2 nonroad diesel engines on rubber tired gantry cranes. Please note that the level of reduction is based on replacing a generator using a Tier 2 engine with a Tier 3 engine. The following criteria must be met in order for appropriately retrofitted cranes to achieve the aforementioned emission reductions:
- The original RTG generator(s) must be equipped with Tier 0, Tier 1 or Tier 2 engines.
- The original RTG must be equipped with a DC bus and AC motors or the EcoCrane package needs to be equipped with a properly sized power inverter to power the DC motors.
- Prior to installation, EcoPower must appropriately size the EcoCrane Hybrid System for the original RTG. In sizing the EcoCrane, a smaller horsepower new diesel engine equipped generator and battery equipped energy system must be optimized to satisfy application-specific requirements.
- The EcoCrane system includes the components necessary to replace a conventional RTG diesel engine generator and other original power system components as necessary. The EcoCrane components include a new genset equipped with a new diesel engine, battery energy storage system, rectifier, auxiliary inverter and regenerative brake/energy recovery system integration.
- EcoPower and the RTG owner must evaluate battery technology options for the specific RTG. Different battery technologies may be preferable due to individual preference and performance requirements, so it is the responsibility of EcoPower and the RTG owner to select a technology based on these needs.
- The EcoCrane system must include a battery monitoring system to alarm operators for necessary actions to ensure the proper operation of the batteries.
- The owner’s manual must include maintenance procedures, safety information and battery disposition.
- The engine must be operated on ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel (ULSD) of 15 ppm or less.
- The engine used in the EcoCrane system must be certified for use in generator sets and meet current model year standards.
- Verification Letter (PDF)(3 pp, 702 K, June 18, 2013)