Requirements for SmartWay Verification of Idling Reduction Technologies (IRTs) for Locomotives
Before applying for SmartWay verification, consider the following:
Requirements for device eligibility
The device must be:
- Designed for a Switcher or Line Haul Locomotive;
- Able to provide idle reduction service in lieu of running the locomotive engine(s); and
- Currently commercially available.
Manufacturers must communicate with EPA before conducting testing for verification purposes.
Requirements for the applicant
The applicant must be able to ensure that:
- All information submitted for application is correct;
- Technology will be manufactured and installed as described;
- Technology will perform as described.
Requirements for health effects and safety of technology
Concerns with health effects or safety may need to be addressed prior to EPA review of a technology for verification.
All applicable regulatory requirements remain in effect regardless of verification status.