Testing for SmartWay Verification of Aerodynamic Devices
Follow these steps for the testing part of the verification process:
Choose one or more test method(s).
Once EPA has a good understanding of the technology, manufacturers can choose from one or more of the three test methods below.
Wind Tunnel Test Procedure
Coast Down Testing
Coast Down testing uses conditions that more directly isolate and measure air resistance.
Develop a test plan for EPA approval.
- Choose a test facility for the chosen test method;
- EPA will supply test protocols and assist in test plan development; and
- Finalize test plan for EPA approval.
- Ensuring that testing is conducted in accordance with EPA SmartWay protocols;
- Immediately reporting any issues to EPA.
Compile and submit a test report to EPA.
Once testing is complete, the manufacturer must work with the testing facility to submit a report that includes the following:
- Photos of test vehicles and devices tested
- Name(s) of device(s) tested; and
- All applicable data and descriptions of analyses.
Go to the Evaluation phase.
Once all data, test reports, and associated documents are submitted to EPA, the device will be evaluated in the final phase of verification.
- Click this link or the tab above: Evaluation for SmartWay Verification