Testing for SmartWay Verification of Idling Reduction Technologies (IRTs) for Trucks
Follow these steps for the testing part of the verification process:
Develop a test plan for EPA approval.
- Choose a test facility for the chosen test method;
- EPA will provide a draft IRT test protocol and assist in test plan development; and
- Finalize test plan for EPA approval.
- The device manufacturer is responsible for:
- Ensuring that testing is conducted in accordance with EPA SmartWay protocols;
- Immediately reporting any issues to EPA.
If necessary, EPA may observe some or all of the testing.
Compile and submit a test report to EPA.
Once testing is complete, the manufacturer must work with the testing facility to submit a report that includes the following:
- Description of the test facility and test protocol;
- Photos of test vehicles and devices tested;
- Name(s) of device(s) tested; and
- All applicable data and descriptions of analyses.
For further guidance, see Appendix A in: Draft Test Protocol for Truck IRTs
Go to the Evaluation phase.
Once all data, test reports, and associated documents are submitted to EPA, the device will be evaluated in the final phase of verification.
- Click this link or the tab above: Evaluation for SmartWay Verification