Water Quality Data Download
Water quality data submitted from over 900 federal, state and tribal agencies, watershed organizations and other groups are available to support your water quality analyses. Water quality data includes physical, chemical, biological, habitat, metrics and indexes data. Data can be retrieved from the following sources:
Water Quality Portal
The Water Quality Portal (WQP) is a cooperative service sponsored by the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Water Quality Monitoring Council (NWQMC). It serves over 380 million water result records from EPA STORET/WQX, the USGS National Water Information System (NWIS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture Sustaining the Earth's Watersheds, Agricultural Research Data System (STEWARDS).
- Water Quality Portal "Getting Started" Factsheet EXIT
- Visit the Water Quality Portal EXIT
- Water Quality Portal Data Discovery Tool - Allows advanced users to find, filter, view, and analyze water data.
- Water Quality Portal MOU between the U.S. Geological Survey and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Water Quality Portal Step-by-Step Guide getting started with the Water Quality Portal.
The LDC (Legacy Data Center) contains historical water quality data dating back to the early part of the 20th century and collected up to the end of 1998. Data is no longer being placed in the Legacy Data Center, but the public can still access data from the ftp site: ftp://newftp.epa.gov/storet/exports/
Return to Main Water Quality Data (WQX) Page.
There are two options for you to share your data using WQX. You can choose a standard web-based application (WQX Web) that uses Microsoft Excel spreadsheets or you can choose to create a custom submission application using WQX XML schema through Exchange Network Nodes or Node Clients.
General Information, Data Assistance, Tools, Training Videos, User Community, and Funding.