Water Quality Data Upload with WQX
There are two options for you to share your data using WQX. You can choose a standard web-based application (WQX Web) that uses Microsoft Excel spreadsheets or you can choose to create a custom submission application using WQX XML schema through Exchange Network Nodes or Node Clients. The best approach for your organization depends on in house technical expertise, data volume and resources. The WQX Web application requires less technical expertise and manual steps to upload. Custom WQX XML submission applications can be more efficient for organizations with larger databases and a need for automated submissions.
Some of the following links exit the site EXIT
WQX Web - Resources for a Standard Upload
What is WQX Web and how does it work?
WQX Web is an online tool for EPA data partners to upload and share data with EPA and the public. WQX Web enables data owners to submit physical, chemical, biological, habitat, index, and metrics data. WQX web relies on the common WQX format and schema.
WQX Web is traditionally a way to submit excel or other text files manually. Now, WQX Web can also be used to automate data submission via REST web services from a local database or application.
- WQX System Overview Factsheet (2p, 496K)
- WQX Web Background Factsheet (2p, 76K)
- WQX Web Overview Video - Coming Soon!
- WQX Web Application Programming Interface (3p, 274K)
How do I gain access to WQX web?
To use WQX web for data submission, you must register with EPA and create a user account.
- For users who are already registered, you can access WQX Web directly via CDX Login page.
- To register for WQX web and CDX, follow the steps outlined on the WQX Web Account Registration page.
- WQX Web Registration and Submission Videos - Coming Soon
How do I prepare my data for submission to WQX Web
The interface allows you to create Import Configurations that WQX web uses to translate your data files into WQX format and enables you to upload your file. Data is formatted into rows and columns that contain the information or metadata supporting the data result, including: where was it collected, when was it collected, how was it analyzed, and other description fields.
- Quick WQX Web User guide
- Full WQX Web 3.0 User Guide
- WQX Web Template – Contains the Excel spreadsheets only
- WQX Web Data Preparation Videos - Coming Soon
Addressing quality assurance in your data file
Good QAQC ensures that your data can be reused by another user for analysis, as well as safeguarding against misuse. The documents below will help you improve the quality of your data.
- Common WQX Web Error Resolution (4p, 230K)
- Best Practices for Sharing Nutrients Data (10p, 285K)
- Best Practices for Sharing Metals Data (6p, 151K)
- Best Practices for Sharing Benthics Data (11p, 192k)
- WQX Web Data Common Errors Videos - Coming Soon
Exchange Network - Resources for a Custom Upload
What is the Exchange Network?
Data owners can establish a custom data flow using WQX XML schema and share their water quality data via the Exchange Network.
- Exchange Network - Water Quality Exchange EXITVisit this site for information on WQX XML schema, data exchange template and Node information.
How do I prepare my data for submission?
Data owners may find the template and domain value services helpful when preparing their data sets.
- Download the Data Exchange Template (excel file) - data directory and element definition.
- Download the WQX Flow Configuration document - data validation rules, services and schema. The principle document which captures the detailed data exchange processing rules governing WQX using narrative text, diagrams and examples.
- WQX Domain Values tables provide data elements to assist data owners and users in conforming to a consistent nomenclature and can be queried to determine the EPA-supplied values.
Back to Main Water Quality Data (WQX) Page
Return to Main Water Quality Data (WQX) Page.
Water Quality Data Download
Water quality data submitted from over 400 federal, state and tribal agencies, watershed organizations and other groups are available to support your water quality analyses.
Learn More about Water Quality Data
General Information, Data Assistance, Tools, Training Videos, User Community, and Funding.