Web Standard: StoryMaps
StoryMaps, which include Esri StoryMaps and ArcGIS StoryMaps, are map-centric data presentation tools. StoryMaps allow developers to blend multiple forms of media with map products to more effectively communicate environmental data.
- StoryMaps must:
- Be hosted within the EPA GeoPlatform Online (GPO). Data used by the StoryMap must also be hosted within an EPA system.
- Include a substantive geographic component that is described with relevant narrative, graphics, and/or other multimedia content.
- Substantially enhance data presentation in a narrative format.
- Describe case studies, success stories, geospatial trainings, and/or other similar stories or topics in a manner that adheres to Agency best practices and standards
- Adhere to EPA's Writing for the Web Standard.
- Include the required elements listed on the StoryMap Guidance and Resources webpage. Section 508 compliance and accessibility requirements are also described on this page. (Note: Exclusions are detailed in the Class Undue Burden for Interactive Geospatial and Data Visualization Software for the Environmental Protection Agency.)
- Follow the EPA Style Guide for Documenting GeoPlatform Online Content Items.
- Approval is required for StoryMaps at two stages. The first approval must take place before work begins (concept stage), and a second approval is needed before the StoryMap is made publicly available.
- The first review takes place at the concept stage before work begins on the StoryMap. Before presenting your concept, consider why StoryMaps are critical to your content goals and cannot be met by a WebCMS-based alternative. Learn more about identifying a concept and submitting your concept for review.
- The second is the final review, which occurs when the StoryMap is final (or near-final), before the StoryMap becomes publicly available. Learn more about final approval of your StoryMap.
About this Standard
Original effective date: 10/14/2020
Last approved on: 10/14/2020
Web Council review by: 10/14/2023 (or earlier if deemed necessary)