Web Standard: Web Area Name
The name of the web area, located at the top of the page, that briefly describes the topic of the Web area.
- Must be unique. Please refer to the Web Plan before requesting a new web area.
- Reflects the topic of the web area, not the organization providing the information.
- Shows the scope of the information accurately, but as short as possible.
- Is used on all pages within a web area.
- Use geographical designations when needed.
- For example: San Francisco Bay Delta, Border2020 or New Bedford Harbor
- Use title case (initial capital letters); do not use all upper or lower case.
- Spell out web area names and include acronyms at the end (in parentheses). You can then use the acronym in the page content and sidebars.
About this Standard
All EPA public web content must adhere to the EPA Web Standards, the U.S. Web Design System guidelines, and the 21st Century Integrated Digital Experience Act.
Original effective date: 03/28/2009
Last approved on: 04/08/2020
Web Council review by: 04/08/2023 (or earlier if deemed necessary by the Web Council)