Web Standard: Web Area URLs
- URLs are Universal Resource Locators, the address where a website lives.
- This standard refers to www.epa.gov only.
- The URLs will be in the form: https://19january2021snapshot.epa.gov/web-area-name/page-title
- Drupal WebCMS automatically creates the URL based on the short name (defined after OWC approval when the web area is created).
- A different URL (called a 'URL overwrite') can be created, if desired.
- Any name change requires approval by OWC.
- Each web area can only have one URL.
- There will not be multiple URLs for the same web area.
- Use all lowercase letters. The URL will be changed automatically to lowercase if typed with any uppercase letters.
- Using mixed- or uppercase causes issues for search engines, users, and analytics tracking.
- Use descriptive words. You want people to find the site using search.
- Really need a shorter URL?
- Use https://go.usa.gov/ , the official U.S. government URL shortener
- Use the page node number
- Example: http://www.epa.gov/node/41353 instead of using http://www.epa.gov/product-review/how-avoid-multiple-rounds-owc-review-when-creating-new-resource-directories-and
- Water Research can be: (pick one)
- CAMEO (Computer-Aided Management of Emergency Operations) can be: (pick one)
About this Standard
Original effective date: 11/14/2012
Last approved on: 07/08/2020
Web Council review by: 07/08/2023 (or earlier if deemed necessary)