Web Standard: Web Forms
Online forms are used to send questions or comments, register or submit registration information, or request software. Forms are created using the Webforms content type. Each web area is able to create new forms. When a Webform is created in the WebCMS, a “thank you” page is automatically created. Contact Us forms are treated separately.
- Creating forms are restricted to webmasters and editors.
- Pages using online forms must include an EPA email contact in case the form fails to work.
- Title the form appropriately, describing its purpose.
- Use title case (initial capital letters) for labels. Never use all caps.
- Reset/cancel buttons will not be used, as they make it too easy for visitors to reset the form, losing their submission.
- If you request an email address or phone number in the form, be sure to use the appropriate field in the form for validation
- Every Webform is required to return a confirmation message, aka a “thank you” page.
- You can customize the page but it’s not required.
About this Standard
Original effective date: 06/26/2011
Last approved on: 05/13/2020
Web Council review by: 05/13/2023 (or earlier if deemed necessary by the Web Council)