Clean Air Act Section 112 Major and Area Source Standards
EPA's final delegation approval of Section 112 NESHAP standards for Wisconsin constitutes a program of straight delegation of all existing and future air toxic standards regardless of a source's Part 70 (Title V) applicability.
EPA approved, through a “direct final” procedure, Wisconsin's request for delegation of the Federal air toxics program contained within 40 CFR Parts 61 and 63 pursuant to Section 112(l) of the CAA as amended, effective June 2, 1997. The State's requested mechanism of delegation involves either the delegation of all existing and future Section 112 standards as federally promulgated, for promulgation as State standards (or rules), or to incorporate Federal standards into State air pollution control permits, reserving the right to promulgate the standards as a State rule at a later time. The actual delegation of authority occurs through a memorandum of agreement (MOA) between the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) and EPA.
- Chromium electroplating
- Degreasing Organic Cleaners
- Industrial Cooling towers
- Perc Dry Cleaners
- Secondary lead smelters
WDNR has both implementation and enforcement authority for these rules and the rules have been incorporated into Wisconsin State rules.
For all other MACT standards, WDNR has chosen to incorporate the Federal standards into State air pollution control permits (Title V’s) to be used as a mechanism for implementation and enforcement authority. WDNR has chosen not to take full or partial delegation of newly promulgated area source MACT rules.
- Proposed Rule (Federal Register Notice 62 FR 15452) - April 1, 1997
- Direct Final Rule (Federal Register Notice 62 FR 15402) - April 1, 1997
- Direct Final Rule; Correction of Effective Date under Congressional Review Act (Federal Register Notice 63 FR 24116) - May 1, 1998
- No comments received on the Direct Final FR Notice
The Wisconsin database will be made available as a spreadsheet.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Wisconsin AG 112l Opinion (PDF)(1 pg, 413 K, Oct. 6, 1995)
- Wisconsin DNR 112l Delegation Request (PDF)(1 pg, 519 K, Dec.22, 1995)
- EPA Completeness Review for Wisconsin's 112l delegation request (PDF)(2 pp, 842 K, March 26, 1996)
- Wisconsin 112l Memorandum of Agreement (PDF)(5 pp, 3 MB, July 26, 1996)