EPA's 2007 aquatic life freshwater quality criteria for copper is based on the Biotic Ligand Model (BLM). The BLM is a metal bioavailability model that uses receiving water body characteristics and monitoring data to develop site-specific water quality criteria. Input data for the BLM include: temperature, pH, dissolved organic carbon (DOC), major cations (Ca, Mg, Na, & K), major anions (SO4 & Cl), alkalinity, and sulfide.
EPA has developed this special interest module to provide the user with valuable information on the BLM.
This introductory presentation provides an overview of the copper BLM and addresses commonly asked questions, such as:
- What is the BLM?
- Why is the BLM an improvement over EPA's old hardness-based copper criteria?
- How do the BLM-derived criteria compare to the hardness-based criteria?
- What input parameters are needed to run the BLM?
- How has the BLM approach been applied in practice?
This short video (4:22) demostrates the BLM software. After watching this video, you will understand how to load an input file, run the model, view the model's output, and export the results. The BLM software and user's guide can be downloaded.
Additional information on implementing EPA's national recommended copper criteria.
Note: Contact Luis Cruz, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) for BLM Software video
- Allen, H.E. and D.L. Hansen, 1996. "The Importance of Trace Metal Speciation to Water Quality Criteria," Water Environment Research, 68:42-54.
- Anderson, D.M. and F.M.M. Morel, March 1978. "Copper Sensitivity of Gonyaulax tamarensis," Limnology and Oceanography, 23(2): 283-295.
- Bergman, H.L., and E.J. Dorward-King, eds., 1997. Reassessment of Metals Criteria for Aquatic Life Protection: Priorities for Research and Implementation, Proceedings of the Pellston Workshop on Reassessment of Metals Criteria for Aquatic Life Protection, February 10-14, 1996, Pensacola, Florida, SETAC Press.
- Brungs, W.A., J.R. Geckler and M. Gast, 1976. "Acute and Chronic Toxicity of Copper to the Fathead Minnow in a Surface Water of Variable Quality," Water Research, 10: 37-43.
- Bury, N.R., J.C. McGeer and C.M. Wood, 1999a. "Effects of Altering Freshwater Chemistry on Physiological Responses of Rainbow Trout to Silver Exposure," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 18: 49-55.
- Bury, N.R., F. Galvez and C.M. Wood, 1999b. "Effects of Chloride, Calcium and Dissolved Organic Carbon on Silver Toxicity: Comparison Between Rainbow Trout and Fathead Minnows," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 18: 56-62.
- Campbell, P.G.C., 1995. "Interactions Between Trace Metals and Aquatic Organisms: A Critique of the Free-ion Activity Model," in Metal Speciation and Bioavailability in Aquatic Systems, A. Tessier and D.R. Turner, eds., IUPAC, John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 45-102.
- Chapman, G.A., S. Ota and F. Recht, January 1980. "Effects of Water Hardness on the Toxicity of Metals to Daphnia magna," a USEPA project status report.
- Diamond, J.M., C. Gerardi, E. Leppo and T. Miorelli, 1997. "Using a Water-Effect Ratio Approach to Establish Effects of an Effluent-Influenced Stream on Copper Toxicity to the Fathead Minnow," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 16(7): 1480-1487.
- Di Toro, D.M., H.E. Allen, H.L. Bergman, J.S. Meyer, P.R. Paquin and R.C. Santore, August 2000. "The Biotic Ligand Model: A Computational Approach for Assessing the Ecological Effects of Metals in Aquatic Systems," published by the International Copper Association, Ltd., Environmental Program, as part of its series on "Copper in the Environment and Health".
- Di Toro, D.M., H.E. Allen, H.L. Bergman, J.S. Meyer, P.R. Paquin and R.C. Santore, 2001. "A Biotic Ligand Model of the Acute Toxicity of Metals. I. Technical Basis," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 20(10): 2383-2396.
- Dunbar, L.E., 1996b. "Derivation of a Site-Specific Dissolved Copper Criteria for Selected Freshwater Streams in Connecticut," Falmouth MA, Connecticut DEP, Water Toxics Program, Falmouth, MA. (excerpt from an uncited report that was received from author)
- Erickson, R.J., D.A. Benoit and V.R. Mattson, 1987. "A Prototype Toxicity Factors Model For Site-Specific Copper Water Quality Criteria," revised September 5, 1996, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory-Duluth, Duluth, MN.
- Erickson, R.J., D.A. Benoit, V.R. Mattson, September 5, 1996a. "A Prototype Toxicity Factors Model for Site-Specific Copper Water Quality Criteria," manuscript prepared for USEPA, ERL-Duluth.
- Erickson, R.J., D.A. Benoit, V.R. Mattson, H.P. Nelson Jr. and E.N. Leonard, 1996b. "The Effects of Water Chemistry on the Toxicity of Copper to Fathead Minnows," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 15(2): 181-193.
- Hall and Associates and EEMA (Environmental Engineering and Management Associates), February 26, 1998. "Evaluation of Copper Toxicity and Water Effect Ratio for Treated Municipal Wastewater," Final Report prepared for the Pennsylvania Copper Group.
- Heijerick, D., C.R. Janssen and W.M. De Coen, 2001. "The Combined Effects of Hardness, pH and Dissolved Organic Carbon on the Chronic Toxicity to Daphnia magna: Development of a Surface Response Model," Environmental Science and Technology, in preparation.
- Hogstrand, C., and C.M. Wood, 1998. "Towards a Better Understanding of the Bioavailability, Physiology, and Toxicity of Silver in Fish: Implications for Water Quality Criteria," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 17: 547-561.
- Janes, N., and R.C. Playle, 1995. "Modeling Silver Binding to Gills of Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 14(11): 1847-1858.
- Keithly, J., J.A. Brooker, D.K. DeForest, B.K. Wu and K.V. Brix, 2003. "Acute and Chronic Toxicity of Nickel to a Cladoceran (Ceriodaphnia dubia) and Amphipod (Hyalella azteca)," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 23(3): 691-696.
- Ma, H., S.D. Kim, D.K. Cha and H.E. Allen, 1999. "Effect of Kinetics of Complexation by Humic Acid on the Toxicity of Copper to Ceriodaphnia dubia," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 18(5): 828-837.
- MacRae, R.K., December, 1994. "The Copper Binding Affinity of Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) Gills," a thesis submitted to the Department of Zoology and Physiology and The Graduate School of the University of Wyoming in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Science in Zoology and Physiology. MacRae, R.K., D.E. Smith, N. Swoboda-Colberg, J.S. Meyer and H.L. Bergman, 1999.
- "Copper Binding Affinity of Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) and Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) Gills: Implications for Assessing Bioavailable Metal," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 18(6): 1180-1189.
- McGeer, J.C., R.C. Playle, C.M. Wood and F. Galvez., 2000. "A Physiologically Based Biotic Ligand Model for Predicting the Acute Toxicity of Waterborne Silver to Rainbow Trout in Freshwaters," Environmental Science and Technology, 34: 4199-4207.
- Meyer, J.S., R.C. Santore, J.P. Bobbitt, L.D. DeBrey, C.J. Boese, P.R. Paquin, H.E. Allen, H.L. Bergman and D.M. DiToro, 1999. "Binding of Nickel and Copper to Fish Gills Predicts Toxicity When Water Hardness Varies, But Free-ion Activity Does Not," Environmental Science and Technology, 33(6): 913-916.
- Morel, F.M., 1983. "Complexation: Trace Metals and Microorganisms," in Chapter 6 of Principles of Aquatic Chemistry, Wiley Interscience, New York, pp. 301-308.
- Pagenkopf, G.K., 1983. "Gill Surface Interaction Model for Trace-metal Toxicity to Fishes: Role of Complexation, pH, and Water Hardness, " Environmental Science and Technology, 17: 342-347.
- Paquin, P.R., D.M. Di Toro, R.C. Santore, D. Trivedi and K.B. Wu, April 1999. "A Biotic Ligand Model of the Acute Toxicity of Metals. III. Application to Fish and Daphnia Exposure to Silver," Section 3 in Integrated Approach to Assessing the Bioavailability and Toxicity of Metals in Surface Waters and Sediments, a submission to the EPA Science Advisory Board, Office of Water, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC, pp. 3-59 to 3-102. USEPA-822-E-99-001.
- Paquin, P.R., J.W. Gorsuch, S. Apte, G.E. Batley, K.C. Bowles, P.G.C. Campbell, C.G. Delos, D.M. Di Toro, R.L. Dwyer, F. Galvez, R.W. Gensemer, G.G. Goss, C. Hogstrand, C.R. Janssen, J.C. McGeer, R.B. Naddy, R.C. Playle, R.C. Santore, U. Schneider, W.A. Stubblefield, C.M. Wood, K.B. Wu, 2002a. "The Biotic Ligand Model: A Historical Overview," Special Issue: The Biotic Ligand Model for Metals–Current Research, Future Directions, Regulatory Implications, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part C 133(1-2): 3-35.
- Paquin, P.R., V. Zoltay, R.P. Winfield, K.B. Wu, R. Mathew, R. Santore and D.M. Di Toro, 2002b. "Extension of the Biotic Ligand Model of Acute Toxicity to a Physiologically-based Model of the Survival Time of Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Exposed to Silver," Special Issue: The Biotic Ligand Model for Metals–Current Research, Future Directions, Regulatory Implications, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part C 133(1-2): 305-343.
- Pickering, Q.H., and C. Henderson, 1966. "The Acute Toxicity of Some Heavy Metals to Different Species of Warmwater Fishes," International Journal of Air and Water Pollution, 10: 453-463.
- Playle, R.C., R.W. Gensemer and D.G. Dixon, 1992. "Copper Accumulation on Gills of Fathead Minnows: Influence of Water Hardness, Complexation and pH on the Gill Micro-environment," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 11: 381-391.
- Playle, R.C., D.G. Dixon and K. Burnison, 1993a. "Copper and Cadmium Binding to Fish Gills: Modification by Dissolved Organic Carbon and Synthetic Ligands," Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 50: 2667-2677.
- Playle, R.C., D.G. Dixon and K. Burnison, 1993b. "Copper and Cadmium Binding to Fish Gills: Estimates of Metal-Gill Stability Constants and Modeling of Metal Accumulation," Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 50: 2678-2687.
- Playle, R., L. Hollis, N. Janes and K. Burnison, August 6-9, 1995. "Silver, Copper, Cadmium, Dissolved Organic Carbon, and Fish," extended abstract in Transport, Fate and Effects of Silver in the Environment, 3rd International Conference Proceedings of Argentum, an International Conference, Washington, DC.
- Prothro, M.G., 1993. "Office of Water Policy and Technical Guidance on Interpretation and Implementation of Aquatic Life Metals Criteria," Memorandum from USEPA Acting Assistant Administrator for Water to Water Management Division Directors and Environmental Services Division Directors, Regions I-X.
- Santore, R.C. and C.T. Driscoll, 1995. "The CHESS Model for Calculating Chemical Equilibria in Soils and Solutions," Chemical Equilibrium and Reaction Models, SSSA Special Publication 42, The Soil Society of America, American Society of Agronomy.
- Santore, R.C., D.M. Di Toro and P.R. Paquin, H.E. Allen and J.S. Meyer, 2001. "A Biotic Ligand Model of the Acute Toxicity of Metals. II. Application to Acute Copper Toxicity in Freshwater Fish and Daphnia," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 20(10): 2397-2402.
- Santore, R.C., R. Mathew, P.R. Paquin, and D.M. Di Toro, 2002. "Development of a Biotic Ligand Model of Acute Toxicity for Zinc," Special Issue: The Biotic Ligand Model for Metals–Current Research, Future Directions, Regulatory Implications, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part C 133(1-2): 271-285.
- Schubauer-Berigan, M.K., J.R. Dierkes, P.D. Monson and G.T. Ankley, 1993. "pHDependent Toxicity of Cd, Cu, Ni, Pb and Zn to Ceriodaphnia dubia, Pimephales promelas, Hyalella azteca and Lumbriculus variegatus," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 12: 1261-1266.
- Stephan, C.E., D.I. Mount, D.J. Hansen, J.H. Gentile, G.A. Chapman and W.A. Brungs, January 1985. "Guidelines for Deriving Numerical National Water Quality Criteria for the Protection of Aquatic Organisms and Their Uses," USEPA Office of Research and Development, Environmental Research Laboratories: Duluth, Minnesota; Narragansett, Rhode Island and Corvallis, Oregon, 98 pp.
- Sunda, W.G. and R.R.L. Guillard, 1976. "The Relationship Between Cupric Ion Activity and the Toxicity of Copper to Phytoplankton, Journal of Marine Research, 34: 511-529.
- Sunda, W.G., and J.A.M. Lewis, 1978. "Effect of Complexation by Natural Organic Ligands on the Toxicity of Coper to a Unicellular Alga, Monochrysis lutheri," Limnology and Oceanography, 23(5), pp. 870-876.
- Sunda, W.G., D.W. Engel, and R.M. Thoutte, 1978. "Effect of Chemical Speciation on Toxicity of Cadmium to Grass Shrimp, Palaemonetes pugio: Importance of Free Cd ion," Environmental Science and Technology, 12: 409-413.
- Taylor, E.W., M.W. Beaumont, P.J. Butler, J. Mair and M.S.I. Mujallid, 1996. "Lethal and Sub-lethal Effects of Copper upon Fish: A Role for Ammonia Toxicity," In: Taylor, E.W. (Ed.), Toxicology of Aquatic Pollution: Physiological, Cellular and Molecular Approaches, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 85-113.
- Tipping, E., and M. Hurley, 1992. "A Unifying Model of Cation Binding by Humic Substances," Geochim Cosmochim Acta, 56: 3627-3641.
- Tipping, E., 1994. "WHAM--A Chemical Equilibrium Model and Computer Code for Waters, Sediments, and Soils Incorporating a Discrete Site/Electrostatic Model of Ion-Binding by Humic Substances," Computers and Geosciences, 20(6): 973-1023.
- USEPA, January 1985. "Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Copper - 1984," Office of Water Regulations and Standards, Criteria and Standards Division, Washington, DC.
- USEPA, August 1994. "Water Quality Standards Handbook: Second Edition, Appendix L, Interim Guidance on Determination and Use of Water Effect Ratios for Metals," USEPA, Office of Water, EPA-823-B-94-005a.
- USEPA, April 6-7, 1999. Integrated Approach to Assessing the Bioavailability and Toxicity of Metals in Surface Waters and Sediments, a report to the EPA Science Advisory Board, Office of Water, Office of Research and Development, Washington, DC, USEPA-822-E-99-001.
- Webb, N.A. and C.M. Wood, 1998. "Physiological Analysis of the Stress Response Associated with Acute Silver Nitrate Exposure in Freshwater Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 17(4): 579-588.
- Wilson, R.W. and E.W. Taylor, 1993a. "The Physiological Responses of Freshwater Rainbow Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss, During Acutely Lethal Copper Exposure," Journal of Comparative Physiology B, 163: 38-47.
- Wood, C.M., C. Hogstrand, F. Galvez, and R.S. Munger, 1996. "The Physiology of Waterborne Silver Toxicity in Freshwater Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) 1. The Effects of Ionic Ag+," Aquatic Toxicology, 35: 93-109.
- Wood, C.M., R.C. Playle and C. Hogstrand, 1999. "Physiology and Modeling of the Mechanisms of Silver Uptake and Toxicity in Fish," Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 16(1): 71-83.
- Wood, C.M., 2001. "Toxic Responses of the Gill," Chapter 1 in Target Organ Toxicity in Marine and Freshwater Teleosts, Volume 1 – Organs," D. Schlenk and W.H. Benson, eds., Taylor and Francis, London and New York, pp. 1-89.
- Zitko, V. and W.G. Carson, 1976. "A Mechanism of the Effects of Water Hardness on the Lethality of Heavy Metals to Fish," in Chemosphere, 5: 299-303.
- WQS Academy: Biotic Ligand Model and Copper Criteria (PDF)(17 pp, 247 K, March 2016, 820Q16001)