State Standards in Effect for CWA Purposes
- [See Subchapter 2B ‐ Surface Water and Wetland Standards Sections .0100 – .0300 ]
(Effective April 9, 2020) Section .0100 contains the procedures for assignment of water quality standards. Section .0200 contains the classifications and water quality standards applicable to surface waters and wetlands of North Carolina. Sections .0300-.0317 contain assignment of stream classifications for state waters within North Carolina’s 16 major river basins. Please note that not all provisions are in effect for CWA purposes. Refer to cover page for more information.
- [See North Carolina's Compilation of State and EPA Criteria and Concentrations of Priority Pollutants ]
Please note that this document has not been approved by EPA for CWA purposes, and is being provided as additional information.
- [See Thermal (Temperature) Variances to North Carolina Water Quality Standards ]
(Effective April 23, 2006) Information detailing variances from water quality standards for dischargers to North Carolina surface waters.
Variances Established by North Carolina
- Evergreen Packaging, Permit Number NC0000272, color
- Dean Pickle-Faison Plant, Permit Number NC 00019702, chloride
Mount Olive Pickle Company, Permit Number NC 0001074, chloride
Federally Proposed or Promulgated Standards
- None at this time.
- Subchapter 2B ‐ Surface Water and Wetland Standards Sections .0100 – .0300 (PDF)(99 pp, 2 MB)
- North Carolina's Compilation of State and EPA Criteria and Concentrations of Priority Pollutants (PDF)(14 pp, 172 K)
- Thermal (Temperature) Variances to North Carolina Water Quality Standards (PDF)(2 pp, 58 K)