IPM Analysis of the Proposed Transport Rule (CSAPR)
On July 6, 2010, EPA signed a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for the Transport Rule (CSAPR). EPA analyzed the impact of the proposed Transport Rule on the U.S. electric power sector using version 3.02 EISA of the Integrated Planning Model (IPM). From this page you can download documentation for IPM v3.02 EISA, the "NEEDS" database of electric generation unit records used in the modeling, and the IPM run results files.
Documentation: Updates to EPA Base Case v3.02 EISA
EPA Base Case v3.02 EISA is the IPM version that EPA used to analyze the proposed Transport Rule. To learn more about the v3.02 EISA assumptions, see the link below. EPA Base Case v3.02 EISA builds on the last major update to the IPM model, EPA Base Case 2006 (v3.0).
Please note that the documentation for v3.02 EISA supplements the more comprehensive documentation of EPA's IPM Base Case 2006 (v3.0); the updated input parameters and assumptions found in EPA Base Case v3.02 EISA documentation were used in the modeling of the proposed Transport Rule.
- Download Supplemental Documentation: Updates to EPA Base Case v3.02 EISA
- Further modeling documentation found in EPA's IPM Base Case 2006 (v3.0)
National Electric Energy Data System (NEEDS) v3.02 EISA
The National Electric Energy Data System or "NEEDS" database contains the generation unit records used to construct the "model" plants that represent existing and planned/committed units in EPA modeling applications of IPM. NEEDS includes basic geographic, operating, air emissions, and other data on these generating units.
- Download NEEDS Version 3.02 EISA Database (XLS)(1 pg, 5 MB)
IPM Results: IPM Run Files and Parsed Files
Download IPM run files and parsed files for the Transport Rule analysis using the links in the table below. Click on the IPM run name in the first column of the table below to download a file. The files are posted in one of two formats, a zipped archive or an excel spreadsheet, and contain the following:
- Detailed IPM input and output files (i.e., .DAT, System Summary Report, .RPE, .CAR, and TAC files) for the listed runs. (Guide to content of IPM input and output files)
- Parsed files for the listed run and year. Whereas IPM output files report aggregated results for "model" plants (i.e., aggregates of generating units with similar operating characteristics), parsed files show IPM results at the generating unit level. (Guide to content of parsed files)
|IPM Run Name
|IPM Run Description
|TR Base Case (ZIP)(3 pp, 7 MB)
|Base case model run, which includes the national Title IV SO2 cap and trade program; NOx State Implementation Plan (SIP) Call regional ozone season cap and trade program; and settlements and state rules through February 3, 2009. This run represents conditions without the proposed Transport Rule and without the rule it replaces (CAIR).
|TR SB Limited Trading (ZIP)(3 pp, 7 MB)
|This run models the State Budgets/Limited Trading proposed remedy described in the Transport Rule preamble.