This page contains copies of asbestos interpretive guidance issued by EPA pertaining to the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) under TSCA Title II and the Asbestos Worker Model Accreditation Plan (MAP).
Note: If you need access to these resources due to a disability, please contact Robert Courtnage at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-566-1081.You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
AHERA Interpretation On Learning Centers (PDF)(2 pp, 113 K,
June 27, 2008,
The following is guidance on whether learning centers are subject to the requirements under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) and the Asbestos-Containing Materials in Schools Rule.
AHERA Policy Clarification on Vinyl Asbestos Tile (VAT) Removal (PDF)(6 pp, 324 K,
July 15, 1992,
This is the final policy clarification on vinyl asbestos tile (VAT) removal under AHERA produced by the AHERA Interpretive Guidance Workgroup.
Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Reinspections (PDF)(12 pp, 196 K,
May 1, 1991,
These are several FAQs about reinspections under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA).
Applicability of AHERA to Newly Installed Building Materials (PDF)(2 pp, 174 K,
October 28, 2008,
Guidance on the applicability of AHERA to newly installed building materials in schools buildings.
Asbestos in Buildings: Guidance for Service and Maintenance Personnel (PDF)(19 pp, 833 K,
July 1, 1985,
EPA 705-G-2020-2715 )
This is guidance for service and maintenance personnel in buildings containing asbestos.
Asbestos Sampling Bulletin Supplementary Guidance on Bulk Sample Collection and Analysis (PDF)(8 pp, 156 K,
September 30, 1994,
This document provides guidance on asbestos bulk sample collection and analysis of asbestos.
Clarification of AHERA regulations regarding schools in which no asbestos-containing building material (ACBM) is present (PDF)(2 pp, 63 K,
May 24, 1989,
This document provides clarification of the AHERA regulations regarding schools in which no asbestos-containing building material (ACBM) is present; 5-7-90 Confirmation of information provided verbally in response to a letter requesting verification of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources’ interpretation of AHERA reinspection requirement; 7-2-90 Response to inquiry about the applicability of AHERA reinspection requirements to buildings in which all ACBM has been removed.
Clarification of current EPA policy requiring all non-Worker training courses to be provided in the English language (PDF)(2 pp, 71 K,
July 26, 1990,
This document is a clarification of EPA policy requiring all non-worker training courses to be provided in the English language.
Clarification of EPA’s requirements relating to AHERA training course instructor qualifications (PDF)(3 pp, 116 K,
October 26, 1993,
This document provides clarification of EPA’s requirements relating to AHERA training course instructor qualifications, sent in response to an inquiry dated 10/15/93.
Clarification of the applicability of AHERA to custodial employees who are not hired directly by a Local Education Agency (LEA) (PDF)(5 pp, 224 K,
August 20, 1990,
This is a clarification of the applicability of AHERA to custodial employees who are not hired directly by a Local Education Agency (LEA) but are hired by an operating engineer at each school within the district.
Clarification of the inspection exclusion provided in AHERA for new schools built after October 12-1988 (PDF)(1 pg, 38 K,
May 24, 1988,
This document provides clarification of the inspection exclusion provided in AHERA for new schools built after October 12, 1988, in which no ACBM was used as a building material.
Clarification of whether the Asbestos MAP permits accredited Contractor/Supervisors to exchange that accreditation for Worker accreditation (PDF)(5 pp, 192 K,
October 27, 1997,
This document clarifies whether the Asbestos MAP permits accredited contractor/supervisors to exchange that accreditation for worker accreditation without further training.
Clarification of whether the Asbestos Model Accreditation Plan (MAP) requires that a design plan be prepared by an accredited project designer (PDF)(2 pp, 69 K,
June 23, 1994,
This is a clarification of whether the Asbestos Model Accreditation Plan (MAP) requires that a design plan be prepared by an accredited project designer prior to the commencement of covered response actions in a school or in a public or commercial building.
Clarification of why the EPA does not allow training providers to combine the worker refresher requirements with the contractor/supervisor requirements (PDF)(2 pp, 99 K,
August 17, 1990,
This document is a clarification of why the EPA does not allow training providers to combine the worker refresher requirements with the contractor/supervisor refresher requirements into a combined refresher course.
EPA Asbestos Materials Bans Clarification (PDF)(3 pp, 44 K,
May 18, 1988,
This document contains clarifications on what asbestos-containing materials remain banned.
Memo on Issues Regarding Model Accreditation Plan (MAP) Accreditation (PDF)(6 pp, 308 K,
July 24, 1987,
This is a memo on issues regarding Asbestos Worker Model Accreditation Plan accreditation.
Further clarification of AHERA reaccreditation requirements (PDF)(9 pp, 449 K,
August 9, 1991,
This document provides further clarification of AHERA reaccreditation requirements explained in an EPA policy statement issued on July 23, 1990.
Clarification that the Interim final model accreditation plan (MAP) does not allow a training provider to combine students from different courses (PDF)(2 pp, 55 K,
April 11, 1994,
This document provides further clarification that the Interim final MAP does not allow a training provider to combine students from different courses (representing different disciplines).
Further clarification of the applicability of the model accreditation plan (MAP) asbestos inspector accreditation requirement (PDF)(2 pp, 65 K,
April 18, 1994,
This document provides clarification of the applicability of the model accreditation plan (MAP) asbestos inspector accreditation requirement.
Guidance Memo on the Implementation of AHERA Model Contractor Accreditation Plan (PDF)(11 pp, 671 K,
June 22, 1987,
This memo provides guidance on the implementation of the AHERA Model Accreditation Plan
EPA Horticultural Vermiculite Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 22 K,
Provides information and recommendations on horticultural vermiculite.
Letter to Representative Peter DeFazio clarifying why EPA no longer accredits MAP courses (PDF)(2 pp, 80 K,
January 19, 2012,
Policy clarification letter to Representative Peter DeFazio regarding why EPA no longer accredits model accreditation plan (MAP) courses.
- Policy guidance addressing ten AHERA accreditation issues that have been reviewed by EPA Headquarters in consultation with the EPA Regional Offices (PDF)(6 pp, 343 K)
- Purple Book: Guidance for Controlling Friable Asbestos-Containing Materials in Buildings (PDF)(114 pp, 8 MB, EPA 705-G-2020-2762)
Recommended interim guidelines for stripping wax or finish coat from asbestos-containing floors (PDF)(2 pp, 118 K,
January 25, 1990,
Recommended interim guidelines for stripping wax or finish coat from asbestos-containing floors
- Request for clarification as to whether an in-house training program qualifies as an EPA-accredited training course (PDF)(3 pp, 127 K)
- Request for Clarification of Conflict of Interest Issues - Responsibility for Conflict of Interest Provisions Concerning Air Cleaners Under AHERA (PDF)(2 pp, 93 K)
Request for clarification on two AHERA MAP issues (PDF)(2 pp, 84 K,
July 19, 1994,
Request for clarification on whether persons collecting asbestos bulk samples on an infrequent or occasional basis are subject to MAP inspector accreditation requirements, and whether accredited workers and/or contractor/supervisors may perform this function without obtaining separate inspector accreditation.
AHERA-accredited employees of Corpus Christi Independent School District performing both asbestos abatement and air monitoring tasks (PDF)(4 pp, 121 K,
January 6, 1989,
Request for interpretation of the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA), 40 CFR 763, regarding AHERA-credited employees of Corpus Christi Independent School District performing both asbestos abatement and air monitoring tasks.
Request for official EPA interpretation of ASHARA requirements as they apply to Idaho safety advisers (PDF)(8 pp, 399 K,
July 12, 1993,
Request for official EPA interpretation of ASHARA requirements as they apply to Idaho safety advisors who look for potential ACM during safety inspections but do not collect samples or make recommendations on how to handle the materials if asbestos is present.
- Response to 1/8/91 inquiry regarding the sale and transfer of AHERA training accreditation and the potential for conflict-of-interest when a firm trains its own workers (PDF)(3 pp, 119 K, January 16, 1991, EPA 705-G-2020-3203)
- Response to 12/21/94 inquiry regarding the applicability of Asbestos MAP training requirements to persons who conduct the asbestos portion of environmental assessments. (PDF)(6 pp, 212 K, January 3, 1995, EPA 705-G-2020-3172)
- Response to 6/2/93 memo explaining the circumstances surrounding John V. Savio’s request to use EPA’s AHERA training course approval given to “Retra Services, Inc. (PDF)(5 pp, 206 K, June 8, 1993, EPA 705-G-2020-3187)
- Response to inquiry about AHERA’s applicability to certain types of facilities and the existence of assistance programs to aid minority schools in complying with AHERA (PDF)(2 pp, 77 K, July 15, 1988, EPA 705-G-2020-3236)
- Response to inquiry about the limitations imposed by AHERA on the types of clean-up work that can be performed by an O&M worker with 16 hours of training (PDF)(3 pp, 103 K, May 5, 2005, EPA 705-G-2020-3158)
- Response to inquiry about whether accreditation requirements apply to persons removing nonfriable ACM from schools and public and commercial buildings (PDF)(2 pp, 93 K, January 13, 1993, EPA 705-G-2020-3189)
- Response to inquiry about whether it is permissible to maintain records pertaining to the asbestos in schools rule under the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) in electronic format (PDF)(2 pp, 62 K, November 1, 2005, EPA 705-G-2020-3157)
- Response to inquiry from ATC Associates Inc. regarding AHERA regulations concerning vermiculite insulation testing in schools and the treatment of vermiculite insulation as non-asbestos containing materials if found negative for asbestos using PLM (PDF)(2 pp, 77 K, March 10, 2009, EPA 705-G-2020-3151)
- Whether Floor Tile is Considered ACBM with Varying Results from PLM and TEM (PDF)(2 pp, 72 K, November 3, 2010, EPA 705-G-2020-3150)
- Response to inquiry on whether the EPA asbestos worker Model Accreditation Plan (MAP) prohibits EPA MAPapproved states from approving training providers to teach online refresher training (PDF)(2 pp, 53 K, April 4, 2006, EPA 705-G-2020-3155)
- Response to inquiry regarding the applicability of federal asbestos inspector accreditation requirements to real estate appraisers (PDF)(10 pp, 635 K, December 8, 1995, EPA 705-G-2020-3170)
- Response to inquiry regarding the responsibilities of an AHERA project designer based on the requirements set forth in the Revised Model Accreditation Plan (MAP), which was published on February 3, 1994 (PDF)(3 pp, 95 K, March 16, 1994, EPA 705-G-2020-3182)
- Response to request for EPA confirmation that addressee’s firm is qualified to provide asbestos training in foreign languages (PDF)(1 pg, 50 K, June 5, 1990, EPA 705-G-2020-3218)
- Statement supporting the applicability of the asbestos contractor accreditation requirement under TSCA to federal employees and federal facilities (PDF)(10 pp, 527 K, August 16, 1993, EPA 705-G-2020-3185)
Summary of EPA’s final accreditation policy decisions and recommendations (PDF)(12 pp, 545 K,
February 6, 1990,
Summary of EPA’s final accreditation policy decisions and recommendations on the following subjects: 1) instructors, 2) duration of courses, 3) auditing contingently approved courses, 4) ideas for site visits and audits, 5) fully approved pre-1987 courses, 6) worker and contractor/supervisor refresher courses, 7) providing refresher-only courses, 8) non-English courses, and 9) retaking examinations; distributed in final form (with one additional subject) to training course providers on 4/18/90
- Supplement to earlier accreditation policy guidance, distributed on 4/18/90, that clarifies EPA’s policy regarding single-instructor refresher courses (PDF)(1 pg, 49 K, May 20, 1990, EPA 705-G-2020-3222)
- Transmission Electron Microscopy Asbestos Laboratories; Quality Assurance Guidelines (PDF)(63 pp, 3 MB, December 1, 1989, EPA 705-G-2020-2721)
- Completing Regional Review of Courses Submitted Under the AHERA Model Accreditation Plan (PDF)(10 pp, 461 K, September 17, 1987, EPA 705-G-2020-3239)
- Silver Book: Measuring Airborne Asbestos Following An Abatement Action (PDF)(56 pp, 3 MB, November 1, 1985, EPA 705-G-2020-2766)
- White Book: Guide to respiratory Protection for the Asbestos Abatement Industry (PDF)(198 pp, 11 MB, September 1, 1986, EPA 705-G-2020-2764)