This Technical Support Document (TSD) details the data, tools and methods that EPA used to calculate the benefit per ton of PM2.5 precursor emissions reduced from 17 industrial, area and mobile emission sectors. In February of 2018, EPA updated this page to reflect the following:
- We posted a new TSD that reports benefit per-ton values calculated using more current demographic and economic input data. These new input parameters are documented in the TSD. Our choice of concentration-response parameters (that is, the relationship between PM2.5 concentrations and health outcomes) is consistent with the previous version of the TSD.
- The previous version of the TSD, published in 2013, remains available as a historic record. However, we recommend users apply values from the 2018 version of the TSD.
- We recently became aware of an error in the emissions input file used to predict PM2.5 concentrations from the "Air/Locomotive/Marine" vessel sector. The emissions for that sector inadvertently omitted aircraft. This change is noted in the updated version of the TSD. We anticipate releasing a new suite of mobile source BPT values in the second half of 2018 that will correct this error.
- Estimating the Benefit per Ton of Reducing PM2.5 Precursors from 17 Sectors (PDF)(108 pp, 6 MB, February, 2018)
- Estimating the Benefit per Ton of Reducing PM2.5 Precursors from 17 Sectors (January 2013 Archived Version) (PDF)(107 pp, 3 MB, January 2013)