Peer Review for Bristol Bay Assessment
What is peer review?
Peer review is the evaluation of a report or other scientific product by experts in that field who were not involved in its development. Peer review is an important tool used in the scientific community to ensure decisions are based on high quality, sound science.
The peer review process provided independent review of the Bristol Bay Assessment. Its purpose was to ensure that the assessment incorporated high quality data and information, was unbiased, and that all conclusions were supported by sound science.
EPA tasked Versar, an independent contractor, with conducting an external peer review of the May 2012 draft of the assessment. Versar assembled 12 independent experts, including specialists in the fields of mine engineering, salmon fisheries biology, aquatic ecology, aquatic toxicology, hydrology, wildlife ecology and Alaska Native cultures.
The peer reviewers evaluated the May 2012 draft assessment and provided a written review of the draft document. EPA considered this feedback as well as comments received during the six-day public comment period as it revised the May 2012 draft.
The same 12 peer reviewers conducted a follow-on peer review to evaluate whether the April 2013 draft of the assessment was responsive to their original comments. EPA considered these peer review comments, as well as comments received during the 60-day public comment period, as it revised the April 2013 draft.
- EPA's Response to Peer Review Comments on May 2012 and April 2013 Draft Assessments (PDF)(400 pp, 2 MB, About PDF)
- Peer Review Follow-on Comments on April 2013 Draft Assessment (PDF)(758 pp, 7 MB)
- Final Peer Review Report on May 2012 Draft Assessment (PDF) (193 pp, 1 MB)
- Supplemental Peer Review Reports
- Final Peer Review Charge Questions (PDF)(4 pp, 52 K)
- August 7-9, 2012: Peer review panel meeting in Anchorage. July 6, 2012 Federal Register Notice
- June 5-26, 2012: Comments accepted on draft charge questions to the peer review panel. June 5, 2012 Federal register Notice
- March 9-March 16, 2012: Call for nominations for peer review panel extended by one week to March 16. March 8, 2012 Federal Register Notice
- February 24-March 9, 2012: Call for nominations for peer review panel. February 24, 2012 Federal Register Notice