Coal Mine Methane Project Resources
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
The Coalbed Methane Outreach Program (CMOP) strives to provide stakeholders with the necessary tools and resources to maximize profitable methane reductions, including:
- U.S. CMM Project Opportunities provides information about current projects and potential opportunities to develop CMM recovery and utilization projects at active U.S. coal mines.
- CMM Cash Flow Model enables you to evaluate the potential economic viability of recovering and beneficially using CMM at a specific site in one of eight ways.
- Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator allows you to convert figures among the many different units of measure in reference to CMM, power generation, etc.
- Coal Mine Methane (CMM) Finance Guide (July 2019)
- Financing Coal Mine Methane Projects (February 2005)
Policy and Programs
- Coal Mine Methane Developments in the United States (July 2019)
- State Renewable Energy Programs (July 2019)
- Emerging Incentives for the Development of CMM Emission Reduction Projects (July 2019)
- Department of Energy (DOE) domestic energy prices — This link offers access to DOE's Short-Term Energy Outlook, an annual document that contains various data on domestic electricity and natural gas prices. Exit
- United States Coalbed Methane maps — The two maps accessible from this DOE Web site show the location and size of CBM fields, CBM production, coal basins, and both abandoned and active gassy coal mines. Exit
- NIOSH's methane control and prediction (MCP) software for longwall coal mines is intended to predict ventilation emissions from longwall mines and optimal degasification design for a longwall panel, and to assess the production performance of gob gas ventholes. Exit
- U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Data Retrieval System for U.S. mines Exit
- The Industry Contacts list provides a sortable list of CMM/CBM industry and government contacts around the world.