MOVES Versions in Limited Current Use
- are completing work already started with MOVES2014, MOVES2014a, or MOVES2014b, or
- need to review documentation for these models.
- Important Note About MOVES Versions
- MOVES2014 Software and Documentation:
Important Note About MOVES Versions
In general, states should use EPA’s latest model, MOVES3, to take advantage of the improvements that have been included in it.
Users should consult the Federal Register Notice of Availability for MOVES3 and the Policy Guidance on the Use of MOVES3 (both available on the MOVES3 latest version page) before doing any additional work with any version of MOVES2014. MOVES2010 should not be used for any regulatory purposes at this time.
- See MOVES Onroad Technical Reports and MOVES Nonroad Technical Reports for the technical reports on MOVES3, MOVES2014 and MOVES2010.
General Information about MOVES2014
- MOVES2014 Release Log provides a detailed history of updates to MOVES2014 and MOVES2014 installation packages.
- Important information on running MOVES2014b.
- MOVES2014b Questions and Answers (PDF) (4 pp, 90 K, EPA-420-F-18-014, August 2018) highlights the difference between MOVES2014b and earlier versions of MOVES
- Policy Guidance on the Use of MOVES2014 for State Implementation Plan Development, Transportation Conformity, and Other Purposes (PDF) (18 pp, 211 K, EPA-420-B-14-008, July 2014) This document describes how and when to use MOVES2014 and subsequent minor revisions, including MOVES2014a and MOVES2014b, for SIP development, transportation conformity, general conformity, and other purposes. It has been superseded by Policy Guidance on the Use of MOVES3 (PDF) (21 pp, 455 K, November 2020, EPA-420-B-20-044).
- MOVES2014, MOVES2014a, and MOVES2014b Technical Guidance: Using MOVES to Prepare Emission Inventories for State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (73 pp, 1.2 MB, EPA-420-B-18-039, August 2018): Guidance on appropriate input assumptions and sources of data for the use of MOVES2014, MOVES2014a, and MOVES2014b in SIP submissions and regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity purposes.
- MOVES2014 Overview for Experienced MOVES Users (PDF) (6 pp, 121K, EPA-420-B-14-059, July 2014) Provides a brief overview of the major functional changes in MOVES2014.
- Announcement of MOVES2014 October Release (PDF) (8 pp, 116K, EPA-420-B-14-094 October 2014) Describes changes between the July and October 2014 releases of MOVES2014.
- MOVES2014a Questions and Answers (PDF) (6 pp, 527 K, EPA-420-F-15-046, November 2015)
- MOVES2014 Questions and Answers (PDF) (5 pp, 175K, EPA-420-F-14-049, July 2014) highlights the differences between MOVES2014 and earlier versions of MOVES and explains EPA policy on using MOVES2014 in State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity Analyses.
MOVES2014a and MOVES2014b User Documents and Tools
- MOVES2014a User Guide (PDF) (266 pp, 11 MB, EPA-420-B-15-095, November 2015) walks users through various MOVES examples, and provides an overview of menu items and options.
- MOVES2014a User Interface Reference Manual (PDF) (59 pp, 556 K, EPA-420-B-16-085, November 2016) provides details on using the MOVES interface, commands and menu options.
- MOVES2014a Software Design Reference Manual (PDF) (112 pp, 1 MB, EPA-420-B-15-096, November 2015) provides background on configuring and installing MOVES and describes MOVES code structure.
- MOVES2014 User Interface Reference Manual Appendix: MOVES2014b (PDF) (7 pp, 188 K, EPA-420-B-18-038, August 2018) explains changes to the user interface in MOVES2014b.
Download MOVES2014b (EXE)(332 MB, January 2021) : After downloading the setup file, run MOVES2014b-Setup-20210112.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to complete MOVES2014b installation. The new installer replaces MySQL with MariaDB as the database server for MOVES2014b. MariaDB continues to support features that MOVES relies on, whereas the latest versions of MySQL removed these features. Using MariaDB resolves various problems that users have found with recent installations of MOVES2014b, including an error where some particulate matter (PM) emissions may be dropped with no error message, leading to low PM output from MOVES installed with MySQL 5.7.26 or later. For these reasons, it is critical to re-install MOVES2014b to eliminate this potential error.
- Download the December 2017 Update to MOVES2014a (EXE) (60 MB, revised April 2018)
- After downloading the setup file, run MOVES2014a-Setup-20180423.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the MOVES2014a installation.
MOVES2014 User Documents and Tools
- MOVES2014 User Guide (PDF) (247 pp, 14.4MB, EPA-420-B-14-055, July 2014) Walks users through various MOVES examples and provides an overview of menu items and options.
- MOVES2014 User Interface Reference Manual (PDF) (51 pp, 436K, EPA-420-B-14-057, July 2014) Provides details on using the MOVES interface, commands and menu options.
- MOVES2014 Software Design Reference Manual (PDF) (89 pp, 1.1MB, EPA-420-B-14-056, December 2014) Provides background on configuring and installing MOVES and describes MOVES code structure.
- Tools for MOVES: Tools designed to help users develop inputs for MOVES2014 and post-process the output.
- MOVES2014 Algorithms: Provides a hyperlinked reference to detailed technical information on MOVES code modules and database tables.
- Download MOVES2014 (EXE)(1 pg, 72 MB,
This application installs the October 2014 release of MOVES2014 with additional updates to configuration and postprocessing scripts. After downloading the setup file, run moves2014-cb6-setup.exe and follow the instructions to complete the MOVES2014 installation.
NOTE: This release includes May 2015 CB6 and CB05 chemical mechanisms that speciate inventory emissions for input into chemical transport air quality models. However, we have found errors in this function. Modelers who will be using MOVES results as input to chemical transport air quality models should consult with EPA or use a later version of MOVES.