Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM)
Learn more about the Science Advisory Board Radiation Advisory Committee’s review of MARSSIM Revision 2.
The Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM) provides detailed guidance on how to demonstrate that a site is in compliance with a radiation dose- or risk-based regulation. MARSSIM focuses on the demonstration of compliance during the final status survey following scoping, characterization and any necessary remedial actions.
Training classes are open to federal and state government employees, depending on available space. Tuition is free to EPA and state employees.
Phone: (202) 343-9607
No meetings are currently scheduled.
The MARSSIM Workgroup is an ongoing, collaborative effort to bring consistency to the methods and processes used to demonstrate compliance with federal and state radiation regulations. Workgroup members represent the four federal entities that have the primary responsibility for managing radioactive materials:
- Department of Defense (DOD).
- Department of Energy (DOE).
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Kathryn Snead, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Phone: (202) 343-9228
The Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Assessment of Materials and Equipment Manual (MARSAME) provides technical information on survey approaches to determine proper disposition of materials and equipment (M&E). MARSAME is a supplement to MARSSIM. Download the MARSAME Manual and Resources.
Federal Register Notices:
- Notification of Public Meetings (12/3/2020) of the EPA Science Advisory Board-RAC Augmented for the Review 2 MARSSIM Revision 2, October 30, 2020
- Notification of Public Meetings (1/11/2021 to 1/14/2021) of the EPA Science Advisory Board-RAC Augmented for the Review 2 MARSSIM Revision 2, October 30, 2020
- Notice of Availability, February 11, 1998
- Notice of Availability (Revision 1), October 18, 2000
- List of Corrections to Revisions 1, June 29, 2001
- Frequently Asked Questions about Radiation Protection and MARSSIM
- EPA Quality Assurance
- Department of Energy Visual Sample Plan