Many communities are interested in using smart growth principles to plan for growth and get the type of development they want, and many need some kind of outside help to make that happen. Typically, communities use a Request for Proposals (RFP) process to identify, screen, and hire expert consultants. Communities have asked for help creating an RFP that will let them find a consultant with smart growth experience.
Below are sample RFPs from two communities that identified and hired consultants experienced in smart growth to help with their plan updates. The examples are provided as models for communities trying to secure similar smart growth expertise. Their inclusion does not represent an endorsement by EPA.
Some of the features that make these smart growth RFPs successful are:
- Clear articulation of intended smart growth outcomes of the project.
- Clear articulation of desired work products.
- Requirement of significant stakeholder and public involvement in process proposal.
- Request for examples of previous experience on projects with similar smart growth objectives and their outcomes.
- Louisiana Request for Proposals (PDF)(6 pp, 118 K)
- Rockville Request for Proposal (PDF)(25 pp, 558 K)