SmartWay Air Carriers:Tools and Resources
Bookmark this page for your convenience.
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
SmartWay Air Carriers measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis. You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Air Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to make sure your data is in the EPA partner database when your shippers and logistics companies are looking for you.
You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Air Carrier Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to be a SmartWay Air Carrier in good standing and to be eligible for partner recognition.
Air Tool and Example Tool
The tool contains screen demos and guidance on each page to help you complete and submit your tool. This tab also contains additional guidance and worksheets to help you collect your data for tool submission.
- READ THIS FIRST: How to Download the SmartWay Tool
- 2020 SmartWay Air Carrier Tool (2019 Data Year) (XLSM)(6 MB,
Save this official tool file to your computer before opening. Use this file for submitting your data.
- Do not submit the example tool.
- Example 2020 AirTool (Filled In) (.XLSM)(5 MB,
Save this example tool file to your computer before opening. This file is not for submitting your company's information
- Use the "Air Carrier Tool" above for your official data submission.
Air Tool User Guides and Technical Documentation
Use these guides to understand the tool data entry and submission process. Note that the data worksheets are no longer available in the Quick Start Guide, but are now provided as appendices to the User Guide.
- What's New - 2020 SmartWay Air Carrier Tool Version (U.S. Version 2.0.19) (PDF) (2 pg, 152K, March 2020, EPA-420-F-20-009)
Version 2.0.19 of the Air Carrier Tool contains a number of updates and revisions to the prior version, 2.0.18. These updates have been implemented to enhance the usefulness, clarity, and accuracy of the Tool. This document summarizes those changes.
- 2020 SmartWay Air Carrier Partner Tool: Quick Start Guide 2019 Data Year—United States Version (PDF) (21 pp, 953K, March 2020, EPA-420-B-20-010)
This document gives you a brief overview of the tool and what you will need to complete it.
- 2020 SmartWay Air Carrier Partner Tool: User Guide 2019 Data Year—United States Version (PDF) (35pp, 2MB, March 2020, EPA-420-B-20-012)
This document gives you a more detailed overview of the tool and what you will need to complete it. Be sure to review the handy worksheets for collecting the necessary information for your company’s tool submission in the appendices before downloading and using the tool.
- 2020 SmartWay Air Carrier Partner Tool: Technical Documentation 2019 Data Year - United States Version (PDF) (18 pp, 879K, March 2020, EPA-420-B-20-011)
This document discusses tool data sources, calculations, and issues considered in determining methods employed in the tool.
Submitting Your Air Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Air Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
- Step 1: Save it to your computer in a place you will remember.
- When you save, you will generate two files—both an .xls file and an .xml file.
- Step 2: Email both files to your Partner Account Manager.
- If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to email@example.com for evaluation.
All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. These Microsoft Excel files contain the latest SmartWay Partners fleet ranking categories and emission rates.
- Learn more about SmartWay Carrier Performance Ranking Data
- The performance ranking files are refreshed every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only)
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA provides webinars and other training opportunities to help carriers learn how to get more value from the SmartWay Program.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet’s performance.
Optimizing fuel economy, driver performance, and operational efficiency is key to improving your performance as a SmartWay Air Carrier. The best sources for the most up-to-date information about these strategies are your air professional associations.
Visit these air industry association websites to learn about best practices for efficient and sustainable air freight.
Professional Association Links
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Exit serves as the global forum of States for international civil aviation issues.
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) Exit is a trade association for airlines around the world.
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practices for Sharing your Participation in SmartWay
Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Featured Partner Profiles
EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.