SmartWay Logistics Company Partner Tools and Resources
This page has everything you need to get the most out of being a registered SmartWay Logistics Carrier.
Bookmark this page for your convenience.
What would you like to do?
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
SmartWay Logistics Companies measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis. Logistics company performance is based on evaluating how much of the freight your company ships is carried by benchmarked SmartWay Carriers versus non-SmartWay Carriers.
You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Logistics Company Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to be a SmartWay Logistics Company in good standing and to be eligible for partner recognition.
Logistics Company Tool and Example Tool
The tool contains screen demos and guidance on each page to help you complete and submit your tool. This tab also contains additional guidance with worksheets to help you collect your data for tool submission.
- READ THIS FIRST: How to Download the SmartWay Tool
- NOTE: Tools must be opened in Windows Excel (Version 2003 or later)
- 2020 SmartWay Logistics Company Partner Tool (2019 Data Year) (XLS)(7 MB, July 2020) Save this file to your computer before opening. Use this file for submitting your data--Do not submit the example tool.
- Example Logistics Tool (Filled In) for Download (XLS) (7 MB, July 2020) Save this file to your computer before opening. This file is not for submitting your company's information--Use the "Logistics Carrier Tool" above for your official data submission.
Logistics Company Tool User Guides
Use these guides to understand the tool data entry and submission process. Note that the data worksheets are available in the appendices of the User Guide and are no longer listed as stand-alone documents.
- 2020 SmartWay Logistics Company Partner Tool: What’s New in this Version? (PDF)(1 pg, 106 K, July 2020, EPA-420-F-20-039 ) Version 2.0.19 of the Logistics Carrier Tool contains a number of updates and revisions to the prior version, 2.0.18. These updates have been implemented to enhance the usefulness, clarity, and accuracy of the Tool. This document summarizes those changes.
- 2020 SmartWay Logistics Company Partner Tool: Quick Start Guide U.S. Version 2.0.19 (Data Year 2019) (PDF)(22 pp, 960 K, July 2020, EPA-420-B-20-041 ) Please review this before downloading and using the tool. This document gives you a brief overview of the tool and what you’ll need to complete it. It includes handy worksheets for entering your company’s information, which you’ll want to complete prior to opening the tool.
- 2020 SmartWay Logistics Company Partner Tool: Technical Documentation U.S. Version 2.0.19 (Data Year 2019) (PDF)(30 pp, 1 MB, July 2020, EPA-420-B-20-042 ) This document discusses tool data sources, calculations, and issues considered in determining methods employed in the tool
- 2020 SmartWay Logistics Company Partner Tool: User Guide U.S. Version 2.0.19 (Data Year 2019) (PDF)(33 pp, 1 MB, July 2020, EPA-420-B-20-043 ) Please review this before downloading and using the tool. This document gives you a brief overview of the tool and what you’ll need to complete it. It includes handy worksheets for entering your company’s information, which you’ll want to complete prior to opening the tool.
- 2020 SmartWay Logistics, Multimodal, and Shipper Partner Tools: Guide to Importing Carrier Data Using the Outside Data Import Function - U.S. Version 2.0.19 (Data Year 2019) (PDF) (28 pp, 1.3 MB, May 2020, EPA-420-B-20-027)
For those selecting the outside data import option to upload carrier activity data, this detailed guide tells you how to create a file that contains your company’s in-house carrier data in SmartWay’s prescribed format, thereby reducing the need to enter carrier activity data manually.
Submitting Your Logistics Company Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Logistics Company Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
Step 1) Save it to your computer in a place you will remember. When you save, you will generate two files—both a .xls file and a .xml file.
Step 2) Email both files to your Partner Account Manager. If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to email@example.com for evaluation.
SmartWay Logistics Companies improve their overall performance by using more and better SmartWay Carriers to move their freight. All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. EPA provides a table with all carriers' relative performance rankings to help SmartWay Logistics Companies and Logistics Company Partners quickly assess the performance of prospective and current carriers in various categories.
- Learn more about SmartWay Carrier Ranking Data
- The performance ranking files are refreshed every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only)
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA provides webinars and other training opportunities to help carriers learn how to get more value from the SmartWay Program.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet's performance.
Resources to Introduce Your Carriers to SmartWay
EPA has created several tools to help you share the benefits of SmartWay with your carriers.
- Carrier education templates: This page includes several documents and templates to help you introduce your carriers to the benefits of registering with the SmartWay program.
- Web graphics to link to SmartWay's website: Place one or more of these four Web graphics on your website to draw your audience's attention to key SmartWay resources. You can also develop your own graphics to highlight specific SmartWay Web content.
Professional Association Links
Optimizing the operational efficiency of your carriers while providing reliable, cost-effective logistics solutions to your customers is key to improving your performance as a SmartWay Logistics Company. The best source for the most up-to-date information about these strategies is your professional associations.
- The Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) Exit provides education, research, connections, and professional growth for supply chain professionals.
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practice Guidance: Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Featured Partner Profiles: EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.