Lead at Superfund Sites: Technical Assistance
The goal of the Technical Review Workgroup for Metals and Asbestos (TRW) is to support and promote consistent application of the best science in the field of risk assessment for metals and asbestos at contaminated sites nationwide. The TRW is comprised of three committees: 1) the Lead Committee, 2) the Asbestos Committee, and 3) the Bioavailability Committee.
On this page:
- Lead Committee Mission
- Expertise of the Lead Committee
- Annual Reports
- Accessing the Lead Committee
- Response from the Lead Committee
- TRW Hotline
Lead Committee Mission
The TRW's Lead Committee reviews applications of metals risk assessment methodologies at hazardous waste sites. Primarily, these reviews are intended to promote the application of scientifically sound and consistent approaches to risk assessment. The Lead Committee is responsible for developing national guidance and documentation on the structure, application, and validation of the Integrated Exposure Uptake Biokinetic (IEUBK) model. The Lead Committee reviews applications of other exposure, uptake, and biokinetic models used to assess lead risks at sites in which children are not expected to be the most sensitive population, such as industrial land use scenarios. The Lead Committee also advises Superfund management on risk assessment concerns for metals.
U.S. EPA Technical Review Workgroup for Metals and Asbestos Charter and Operating Principles, July 2018 (PDF) (9 pp, 690 K, About PDF).
Expertise of the Lead Committee
The principal members of the Lead Committee are technical staff from EPA Regions, Office of Land and Emergency Management (OLEM), Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), state, and Office of Research and Development National Center for Environmental Assessment (ORD/NCEA). Lead Committee members generally have an active interest and recognized scientific expertise in metals risk assessment.
- 2012 TRW Lead Committee Annual Report (PDF)(5 pp, 588 K, About PDF)
- 2013 TRW Lead Committee Annual Report (PDF)(7 pp, 2.1 MB)
- 2014 TRW Lead Committee Annual Report (PDF)(5 pp, 1 MB)
- 2015 TRW Lead Committee Annual Report (PDF)(5 pp, 60 K)
- 2016 TRW Lead Committee Annual Report (PDF)(4 pp, 485 K)
- 2017 TRW Lead Committee Annual Report (PDF)(6 pp, 75 K)
Accessing the Lead Committee
Regional and state risk assessors and project managers may submit written or electronic requests for Lead Committee review to the Lead Committee co-chairs:
- Sophia Serda (firstname.lastname@example.org) EPA Region 9, San Francisco, California
- Jim Brown (email@example.com) EPA Office of Research and Development, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
- Michele Burgess (firstname.lastname@example.org) EPA Office of Superfund Remediation and Technology Innovation, Washington, D.C.
If a legal concern for confidentiality exists, documents should be submitted to the Lead Committee through regional legal counsel.
Response from the Lead Committee
The time required for the Lead Committee to complete a site-specific review will depend on the nature of the request and the extent of the review requested (i.e., a brief consultation or a thorough, in-depth review). Because the Lead Committee meets bimonthly via teleconference, a substantial request for assistance should be submitted at least two months prior to a desired response.
The purpose of a Lead Committee review is to provide scientifically sound and consistent guidance to assist states and EPA regional offices in the appropriate use of the IEUBK model (or other risk assessment methodologies). The Lead Committee's written response and recommendations offer scientific support for the appropriate applications of the IEUBK model; however, states and EPA Regions are neither required nor obligated to implement Lead Committee recommendations in site-specific risk assessments.
Questions concerning the use of the IEUBK software may be submitted to the TRW hotline.
Questions may be submitted to the TRW hotline in either of the following ways:
- For Lead questions, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Call the toll-free TRW hotline at 1-866-282-8622. If a hotline staff member is not available to speak with you, you may leave a message on the hotline voicemail system.