Region 8 Tribal Program
EPA Region 8 is committed to helping tribes strengthen their abilities to manage environmental programs in Indian country, and to ensure that tribes have a voice in decisions that affect their land, air and water. The region serves 28 federally recognized tribes, located within the states of Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.
Regional Tribal Operations Committee (RTOC)
The Regional Tribal Operations Committee (RTOC) provides an opportunity for discussion between tribes and EPA.
The Indian General Assistance Program (GAP) in Region 8
GAP is guided by the Guidance on the Award and Management of General Assistance Agreements for Tribes and Intertribal Consortia.
For more information regarding the administration of GAP in Region 8, see the Region 8 Tribal Contacts list.
Tribal Consultation Procedures for Region 8
Under the EPA Policy on Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribes, EPA consults on a government‐to‐government basis with federally recognized tribes. For more specific guidelines on consultation with tribes in Region 8, contact Kimberly Varilek at 303-312-6264.
Region 8 Policy for Environmental Protection in Indian Country
This guidance is intended to respond to and clarify questions that are most frequently raised by our internal and external customers and constituents, relating to: (1) Agency protocol in working with federally recognized tribes, (2) Agency support of federally recognized tribal governments in building capacity to manage environmental programs, and (3) Agency positions on environmental program responsibilities and jurisdiction. Click here to review the policy.
Federally Recognized Tribes in Region 8
The map below shows the boundaries of the federally recognized tribal nations within Region 8.
- Arapaho Tribe of the Wind River Reservation, Wyoming
- Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes of the Fort Peck Indian Reservation, Montana
- Blackfeet Tribe of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation of Montana
- Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe of the Cheyenne River Reservation, South Dakota
- Chippewa Cree Indians of the Rocky Boy's Reservation, Montana
- Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Reservation
- Crow Creek Sioux Tribe of the Crow Creek Reservation, South Dakota
- Crow Tribe of Montana
- Eastern Shoshone Tribe of the Wind River Reservation, Wyoming
- Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe of South Dakota
- Fort Belknap Indian Community of the Fort Belknap Reservation of Montana
- Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians
- Lower Brule Sioux Tribe of the Lower Brule Reservation, South Dakota
- Northern Cheyenne Tribe of the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation, Montana
- Northwestern Band of the Shoshone Nation
- Oglala Sioux Tribe
- Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah (Cedar Band of Paiutes, Kanosh Band of Paiutes, Koosharem Band of Paiutes, Indian Peaks Band of Paiutes, and Shivwits Band of Paiutes)
- Rosebud Sioux Tribe of the Rosebud Indian Reservation, South Dakota
- Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate of the Lake Traverse Reservation, South Dakota
- Skull Valley Band of Goshute Indiana of Utah
- Southern Ute Indian Tribe of the Southern Ute Reservation, Colorado
- Spirit Lake Tribe, North Dakota
- Standing Rock Sioux Tribe of North Dakota and South Dakota
- Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota
- Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians of North Dakota
- Ute Indian Tribe of the Uintah & Ouray Reservation, Utah
- Ute Mountain Ute Tribe
- Yankton Sioux Tribe of South Dakota