Class V Aquifer Remediation Wells (Region 3)
The subsurface emplacement of fluids through injection wells as part of a soil or aquifer remediation project is subject to the ground water protection and inventory (notification) requirements of the Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program. The UIC program is administered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 3 (Mid Atlantic Region) in the Commonwealths of Virginia and Pennsylvania.
Ground water and soil remediation related injection wells may include the discharge of microbe and nutrient solutions to enhance bioremediation, the introduction of oxygen release compounds or other oxidizing solutions to facilitate the chemical break down of hydrocarbon or chlorinated solvent contamination or the introduction of surfactants to provide for the pumping and treating of contaminated ground water for subsequent injection back into the aquifor.
Environmental consultants, owners, and operators of aquifer remediation related injection are required to notify EPA and receive approval or "rule authorization" of the injection wells. EPA approval or rule authorization of the injection wells is contingent upon operator compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local requirements.
When submitting your documents to EPA personnel, please include the following information applicable to your project:
- A detailed description of the aquifer remediation project
- Site history
- A map of the project site with location of injection well(s), water supply wells within a half mile of the site, and surface bodies of water within a half mile of the site
- Consultant information (name, organization, address, phone number, email address)
- Owner/client information (name, organization, address, phone number, email address)
- State and/or local representative information (name, organization, address, phone number, email address)
- State facility ID (if applicable)
- Duration of injection event
- SDS of every compound utilized for the injection
- Number of injection wells
- Well inventory form (EPA Form 1750-16; aquifer remediation wells are considered Class V injection wells)
Please submit the required information by mail or email to:
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
|Pennsylvania, Washington DC
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
1650 Arch Street
Mail Code: 3WD22
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103
U.S. EPA Wheeling Office
1060 Chapline Street
Wheeling, West Virginia 26003
(304) 234 - 0286
For Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia, please contact the state's respective agency for further guidance.