Watershed Management Publications
The Watershed Management Publications are technical references that supplement our internet-based training courses.
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
Recent References - 2011 to Present
- U.S. EPA. 2018. Critical Source Area Identification and BMP Selection: Supplement to Watershed Planning Handbook.
- U.S. EPA. 2018. Nutrient and Sediment Estimation Tools for Watershed Protection.
- U.S. EPA. 2017. Overview of the Preliminary Healthy Watersheds Assessments Project: Evaluating Relative Health and Vulnerability of Conterminous US Watersheds.
- U.S. EPA. 2016. Assessing the Benefits of Wetland Restoration: A Rapid Benefit Indicators Approach for Decision Makers.
- U.S. EPA. 2016. The Rapid Benefit Indicators Approach: A Process for Assessing the Social Benefits of Ecological Restoration.
- U.S. EPA. 2016. Monitoring and Evaluating Nonpoint Source Watershed Projects.
- U.S. EPA. 2016. Technical Memorandum #5 Presenting Results.
- U.S. EPA. 2015. Technical Memorandum #4 Applying Benthic Macroinvertebrate Multimetric Indexes to Stream Condition Assessments.
- U.S. EPA. 2015. Technical Memorandum #3 Minimum Detectable Change and Power Analysis.
- U.S. EPA. 2015. Technical Memorandum #2 Relative Applicability of Particle Distribution Measures and Bank Slope Stability in Evaluating NPS Watershed Projects.
- U.S. EPA. 2015. Technical Memorandum #1 Adjusting for Depreciation of Land Treatment When Planning Watershed Projects.
- U.S. EPA. 2013. Getting in Step: Engaging Stakeholders in Your Watershed.
- U.S. EPA. 2013. Watershed modeling to assess the sensitivity of streamflow, nutrient and sediment loads to potential climate change and urban development in 20 U.S. watersheds.
- U.S. EPA. 2013. A Quick Guide to Developing Watershed Plans to Restore and Protect Our Waters (PDF)(39 pp, 2.4MB, EPA 841-R-13-003)
References - 2000 to 2010
- U.S. EPA and U.S. Botanic Garden. 2009. Reduce Runoff: Slow It Down, Spread It Out, Soak It In.
- U.S. EPA. 2008. Handbook for Developing Watershed Plans to Restore and Protection Our Waters(841-B-08-002)
- U.S. EPA. 2006. EPA Watershed Training Opportunities (PDF)(33 pp, 593K)
- U.S. EPA. 2005. Community-Based Watershed Management Lessons from the National Estuary Program(842-B-05-033)
- U.S. EPA. 2005. Community-Based Watershed Management Handbook(842-B-05-003)
- U.S. EPA. 2004. After the Storm: A Video Co-Produced by EPA and The Weather Channel (VHS tape)(840-V-04-001)
- U.S. EPA. 2003. Watershed Academy Web: Online Watershed Management Training(EPA 841-F-04-001)
- U.S. EPA. 2003. Watershed Analysis and Management (WAM) Guide for States and Communities (PDF)(358 pp, 5.9 MB, EPA 841-B-03-007)
- U.S. EPA 2002. Community Culture and the Environment: A Guide to Understanding a Sense of Place (PDF)(293 pp, 8.8 MB, EPA 842-B-01-003)
- Pacific Watershed Institute. 2000. Watershed Analysis and Management (WAM) Guide for Tribes (PDF)(369 pp, 21MB, EPA-841-B-00-008) | ZIP Version(7.1 MB, Free Viewers)
- U.S. EPA. 2000. Big Darby Creek Case Study: A Profile of Watershed Threats and Protection in a Midwest Landscape (PDF)(37 pp, 163K, EPA-841-B-00-004)
Historical References - 1990's
- FISRWG. 1998. Stream Corridor Restoration: Principles, Processes and Practices(EPA-841-R-98-900)
- U.S. EPA. 1997. Top 10 Watershed Lessons Learned(EPA840-F-97-001)
- U.S. EPA. 1997. Monitoring Consortiums: A Cost-Effective Means to Enhancing Watershed Data Collection and Analysis(EPA841-R-97-006)
- U.S. EPA. 1997. Statewide Watershed Management Facilitation(EPA-841-R-97-011)
- U.S. EPA. 1997. Land Cover Digital Data Directory for the United States(EPA 841-B-97-005)
- U.S. EPA. 1997. Designing an Information Management System for Watersheds (PDF)(32 pp, 1.6 MB, EPA-841-R-97-005)
- U.S. EPA. 1997. Information Management for the Watershed Approach in the Pacific Northwest(EPA-841-R-97-004)
- U.S. EPA. 1997. Working at a Watershed Level Design Document
- U.S. EPA. 1997. A Framework for Stream Corridor Restoration, Draft
- U.S. EPA. 1996. Watershed Approach Framework(EPA840-S-96-001)
- U.S. EPA. 1995. Watershed Protection: A Project Focus(EPA841-R-95-003)
- U.S. EPA. 1995. Watershed Protection: A Statewide Approach(EPA841-R-95-004)