Web Standard: Maps
Maps may be:
- Static map image - a picture of a map
- Do not use Google maps or other commercial maps. We have no licensing agreement for Google Maps.
- U.S. map of states or EPA regions must use the standard U.S. National Maps (formerly called ‘Where You Live’)
- Maps will have:
- A title, that includes the word “map”, located above the map in header tag <h2> – <h4>.
- A description in caption text or alt text of what the map displays.
- A link to equivalent content in text form.
- Recommended best practice is to link to equivalent content in text form. Near-Real-Time and Laboratory Data by State is an example.
About this Standard
Original effective date: 09/12/2012
Last approved on: 07/08/2020
Web Council review by: 07/08/2023 (or earlier if deemed necessary by the Web Council)