Biological Assessment and Biocriteria
The use of biological assessments and biocriteria in state and tribal water quality standards programs is a top priority of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA's biocriteria website).
- Use bioassessment information to evaluate the condition of aquatic life in all waterbodies,
- Establish biologically-based aquatic life use designations,
- Protect aquatic life use standards with narrative or numeric biocriteria,
- Regulate pollution sources, Assess the effectiveness of water quality management efforts, and
- Communicate the condition of their waters.