CMOP International Partners: India
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
India ranks 3rd in global coal production – nearly 600 million metric tons (Mmt) in 2012 – and 7th in coal mine methane (CMM) emissions, which are projected to exceed 27 million metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (MMTCO2E) by 2020. An overview of India’s coal mining history and current methane recovery and use efforts can be found in the Global Methane Initiative Coal Mine Methane Country Profile: India (June 2015) (PDF) (12 pp, 1 MB) Exit.
- Pre-Feasibility Study for Methane Drainage and Utilization at the Pootkee Colliery, Damodar Valley Jharkhand State, Dhanbad District, India (November 2019)
- Pre-Feasibility Study for Methane Drainage and Utilization at the Chinakuri Colliery, Sodepur Area West Bengal State, Burdwan District, India (September 2016)
- Pre-feasibility Study for Coal Mine Methane Recovery at the Sawang Colliery, East Bokaro Coal Field, India (June 2015)
- Pew Center on Global Climate Change Report: Coal Initiative Series: Positioning the Indian Coal-Power Sector for Carbon Mitigation: Key Policy Options (January 2009) Exit
- Pew Center on Global Climate Change Report: Coal Initiative Series: A Resource and Technology Assessment of Coal Utilization in India (October 2008) Exit
- India CMM/CBM Clearinghouse Exit – Established with the India Ministry of Coal and EPA in 2006, the clearinghouse is housed at the Central Mine Planning and Design Institute in Ranchi (CMPDI) Exit.
- Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research (CIMFR) Exit – Aims to provide research and development (R&D) inputs for the entire coal-energy chain from mining to consumption.